LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

just another idea

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default just another idea

i was carrying my extra exhaust manifolds into my dorm room because im going to start cleaning them up they are decently heavy 45 pounds together i would guess i know headers are a touchy issue around here but what if somone just built something out of tubing thats based on the oem ones just for the purpose of weight reduction then they would work with our oem sensors and stuff maybe its a stupid idea but i thought i would put it out there in case somone has those abilities and an intrest because building power in these cars causes tranny problems im really brainstorming weight reduction ideas lately besides the really apparent ones
Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be called a header! Good idea! Now find someone to do it for us.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

hmm now i just have to learn how to weld
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

what ever happened to that one guy that said he was gonna leave his car at lingenfelter so they could develop some products including headers possibly?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

that was me the engineers must not have liked the idea guy i talked to asked what kinda stuff i had in mind i told him he said he would talk to his engineers and never got back to me
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

another thing sombody should make a fiberlass or carbon fiber trunk for these things
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why in the world would you want a carbon fiber trunk, the 10 pounds you would lose wouldn't be worth much.

Now if you are talking about CF or fiberglass in the trunk that is an easy do it yourself thing. I can explain it all to you, minor in composite structures in college.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can buy pre bent pieces and header flanges. j bends is what ive seen them called. just have to figure out what size tubing would work. measure up the manifold and figure out the smallest dimension. 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 are common sizes. then you need to figure out the size of the collector. 2-1/2 or 3 probably.

it's messed up that nobody wants to make them for production/retail.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

yeah im going to look into it for sure. about the trunklid i guess what i was getting at is i think weight reduction is the way to go .... you go faster and actually make your trannys job a bit easier win win
Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

any little bit of weight you can take off is worth it, and on fwd car getting the weight off your rear is key.. If you take ten pounds here and there it adds up. Trust me i gutted the interior this summer and it was a totally different car. It hooked up much better without the rear seats and plastcs etc. lol not everyone wants to go to those lenghts.

How big should the piping be for best flow on these headers? We have a pipe bending machine at work and i can tig weld, with the way the things are going i should be getting some free time but i think the biggest die we have for the machine is 2-1/4" which is obviously too small. they are about $600 for the set and i'd have to buy that out of my pocket. So what are you opinions on best size?

Don't get your hopes up guys, i'm just thinking about it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

go to gen IV external engine and search header primaries i think i saw a good thread there that explained it and had some good links good and keep in mind we can probably move the torque up in the powerband a bit

Search this Thread