Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! noob in the middle of head & cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! noob in the middle of head & cam swap

sorry about the nooob questions but i am inside a ls1 for the first time and need some questions answered. I am installing am ms3 cam on a 113 lsa and stage 2.5 5.3L heads that i purchased as a combo from tsp. Also purchased all new gaskets, new oil pump, ls7 lifters, pushrods. I have everything disassembled and i am ready to start putting it all back together tomorrow.
1. can i just soak the cam in engine oil or do i need pre-assembly lube.
2. can i break the cam in with regular oil and then switch to synthetic or should i start it with synthetic in it.
3. do the oiling holes in the lifters need to be facing a certain way or will facing toward the front or back not make a difference.(my stock lifters were all mixed and matched)
Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions and possibly offer any other advice i might need
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1howto.com it helps.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

Goodluck.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Also I'd go for some "break-in" oil for 100 miles or so before putting in synthetic.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Teching In

thaks man thats actually the site im using step by step but it doesnt answer these questions. thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

i just lubed my cam with some synthetic oil i had lying around. it was a used cam though. dont know if that matters. i would just use new oil after youre done with the cam swap with whatever you usualy fill it with. as far as the lifter tray oiling holes i duno
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigftruck
sorry about the nooob questions but i am inside a ls1 for the first time and need some questions answered. I am installing am ms3 cam on a 113 lsa and stage 2.5 5.3L heads that i purchased as a combo from tsp. Also purchased all new gaskets, new oil pump, ls7 lifters, pushrods. I have everything disassembled and i am ready to start putting it all back together tomorrow.
1. can i just soak the cam in engine oil or do i need pre-assembly lube.
2. can i break the cam in with regular oil and then switch to synthetic or should i start it with synthetic in it.
3. do the oiling holes in the lifters need to be facing a certain way or will facing toward the front or back not make a difference.(my stock lifters were all mixed and matched)
Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions and possibly offer any other advice i might need
1.I just put engine oil on the cam lobes while installing it, as long as you are going to start it within a couple days or so it should be ok, assembly lube if the engine will sit for a while before being started.

2.I just kept synthetic, the lifters are rollers, you arent installing new bearings so it should be good.

3.I wondered the same thing...lol. I looked for hours, couldnt find an answer so I dont think it matters.

Hit me up if I can help out with anything else.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Teching In

thanks guys i apreciate it ! Im prob just going to use regular oil on the cam i guess and run the car for 100 miles or so and switch to synthetic ( i have never run synthetic in it before) hopefully the oiling holes will be good facing the front
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i used a really thick stp oil, it cant think what it is called and just ran it around the lobes and what not and installed it. i also agree with everyone just use a cheap oil, because your gonna want to change it at the 100 mile mark.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigftruck
thanks guys i apreciate it ! Im prob just going to use regular oil on the cam i guess and run the car for 100 miles or so and switch to synthetic ( i have never run synthetic in it before) hopefully the oiling holes will be good facing the front
Oh well if you havent used synthetic yet then just use regular oil for sure
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Teching In

It looks like u have a strong setup there mrelectric. Im excited i hope mine puts down the power you have in your sig You have any track times by chance? By the way thanks for the help too