Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need rebuild kit advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need rebuild kit advice...

I am changing from a 3.23 to a 3.73... Just wondering what parts I should get from say AutoZone to refresh the differential. Can't afford the expensive rebuild kit (made by SLP). Part numbers would be great, or a list of parts needed. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'refresh the differential'?Depending on condition of parts and if axle and pinion seals aren't leaking,nothing could/should need refreshing.Inspection will tell you.You could end up buying individual parts that total more than the kit would have been.Even different pinion and carrier shims might not even be needed depending upon readings during setup.There are kits by Summit,Richmond,Ratech,Motive,and Superior.Be cautious of replacement bearings because there's a lot of junk out there.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

If you're changing gears just get an install kit.
It has all bearings, seal, crush collar, marking compound, pinion nut, etc. Most everything except axle bearings and seals.
There are only a few makers of the shim kits, everyone who has their own kit just selects bearing brand, etc and throws in the ratech shims.
I prefer the kit that has billet steel interlocking carrier spacers that sandwich the shims between them. I forgot what brand they are. Every other brand uses just big washers in various thicknesses for shims.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Ended up buying the whole kit and a matched used 3.73 ring and gear... Here's hoping I'll see a difference from my old 3.23 setup.