Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft question

Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driveshaft question

Does anyone know how long the stock aluminum driveshaft is? Also is it easy to change the u-joints on the rear of the shafts? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 1982-2002 F body (except 2 piece V6 drivershafts) are the same length, regardless of transmission.

I believe they are 41" u joint to u joint.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

The reason this is being asked is because I seem to be having some issue with my driveshaft into the tranny? For some reason it is vibrating and pulling the rear bearing out. I have a t-56 car that was swapped to a th400, then the motor was pulled and the car was swapped back to a t-56 tranny. In both cases I have bought a driveshaft off this site that was suppose to be for a 10bolt car.... and in both cases the u-joints were different but both driveshafts are the same length and have the same marking in the same spot. We have yetto put the new driveshaft in as we are waiting to get the u-joint swapped, so we are not sure if this driveshaft is going to have the same issue. I am thinking that the old driveshaft may have been out of balance causing it to vibrate under load, at low rpms and again at 80mph.... thus shaking the bearing out.

The last 2 times that the car has been on the dyno, there has been a vibration followed by tranny fluid coming out of the tranny were the driveshaft goes in. The last time it was on the dyno we swapped the bearing and seal and put the driveshaft back on. While installing the driveshaft, it appeared that the driveshaft was not quite long enough thus not having enough side load on the front side of the driveshaft going into the tranny. I am not sure if a slight space is normal between the driveshaft and the trany or not ( if I remember correctly it was a space about an 1.5". Any comments regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

You should only have about 3/4- 1" max sticking out of the tranny( slip yoke). Also make sure you don't have a bent output shaft(unlikely with 2 tranny's). 41" is stock length.

Last edited by SS1875; 01-17-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Search this Thread