General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny and Rear End fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny and Rear End fluid change.

This is an ultra noob question, but I'll ask anyway since I need to learn. I'm about to change the fluid in the rear end (which has a summit cover on it thank goodness) and the fluid on my t56. My question is, the way the fill holes are positioned, I'm doubting it's possible to pour the fluid in them straight from the spout, how do you guys manage to fill them up with minimum spillage? thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

You get a screw on lid for the bottle that has about a 2' flexible plastic hose on the end. That way you can stick the hose in the hole and tip &squeeze it up into the fill hole on top of the diff. I think the one I got was like $2 at autozone or someplace when I picked up my rear end lube.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Launching!

does that work when doing the tranny fluid too? is the screw on lid universal or fit only certain types of bottles?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Fill the transmission through the shifter
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a quart bottle with a pump handle and a long hose on it (WalMart?). It can lift the fluid up into the diff with no mess, no hassle. The handle also fits onto many fluid bottles without having to transfer the fluid. Just remember that the diff holds 2 quarts, which is not level with the fill hole.
And don't use it for trans fluid, a friend ruined my first one like that and I had to buy another one.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I bought a quart bottle with a pump handle and a long hose on it (WalMart?). It can lift the fluid up into the diff with no mess, no hassle. The handle also fits onto many fluid bottles without having to transfer the fluid. Just remember that the diff holds 2 quarts, which is not level with the fill hole.
And don't use it for trans fluid, a friend ruined my first one like that and I had to buy another one.
So you mean you have to keep adding the full two quarts while the fill hole is spilling fluid out? I also have a fill hole in my Summit differential cover, but it seems to be a little lower (lower than halfway high) than other covers... so does it matter which fill hole I use?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the hole in the differential itself, not the cover. It will take more than 2 quarts (ask me how I know ). And if you decide to keep going after it is spilling onto your hands, well, that is your choice.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If your 10 bolt axle is level, then it only holds no more than 1 3/4 quarts...!!!