LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict

Well I had a Summit Racing gift card laying around and I have probably everything I could buy for my MCSS from there so I decided to put the money towards the TB spacer. I installed it today and it was a 30 minute job and went rather smoothly.

I went for a cruise and noticed a whirling, whistling noise that comes from this thing that sounds like a turbo under load, and then once the car reaches a certain RPM, it sounds like the "turbo" blows off. I felt more power at the top end of each gear, low end felt about the same. However the top end of 2nd and 3rd are now a lot stronger and pull the speedo upwards much faster. If you have an extra 100 bucks layin' around then I recommend this mod.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Dude, how fast were you going to reach the top end of third??
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

whats the link to the product you bought.. how loud was it, the whirling sound? i miss that sound as i had an intake in my 01 GP and it made a sound like that.. the intake in this car doesnt..
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

link please!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

link link link
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

ok nvm i did a search and found out where to get it... here the link to the thread with all the info even pics of what it looks like...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...dy-spacer.html

i ordered my from jegs but you can get it from summit as well.. its 107 before shipping and handling.. It says it for a trailblazer but works with our throttle bodies..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/200-586/10002/-1#
Old 01-18-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

is that the one thats not the exact size to match the tb opening?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Damn Dude, how fast were you going to reach the top end of third??
Closed private road, farm country....
Originally Posted by steveman0018
ok nvm i did a search and found out where to get it... here the link to the thread with all the info even pics of what it looks like...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...dy-spacer.html

i ordered my from jegs but you can get it from summit as well.. its 107 before shipping and handling.. It says it for a trailblazer but works with our throttle bodies..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/200-586/10002/-1#
That's it!
Originally Posted by neilownz
is that the one thats not the exact size to match the tb opening?
No mine was the same size as the stock TB.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 AM
12 Second Club

Dyno Proof???
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

i hear from many ppl with different cars that it not worth the money and some that say it is.. im guessing every car is diff but after doing the search on this forum of it, all the thread claim they felt a notifiable increase in 2nd and third gear. someone with the GP said he gained 9 hp and 17lbs/ft after dyno his car right after he put it on.. who knows.. i will get anything that easy to bolt on to add some extra HP.

Nacho, describe more of the whirling sound.. I have heard videos on youtube with it and each one sounds different.. Is it pretty loud, can u only hear it whle in the car...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

i hear from many ppl with different cars that it not worth the money and some that say it is.. im guessing every car is diff but after doing the search on this forum of it, all the thread claim they felt a notifiable increase in 2nd and third gear. someone with the GP said he gained 9 hp and 17lbs/ft after dyno his car right after he put it on.. who knows.. i will get anything that easy to bolt on to add some extra HP.

Nacho, describe more of the whirling sound.. I have heard videos on youtube with it and each one sounds different.. Is it pretty loud, can u only hear it whle in the car...
Give me the link to that video I'd to check it out.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

here are a few that i looked at. remember that videos can make the sound seem like its not loud..

this one is the best clip to hear the sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYvr...eature=related

this is just a engine shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCjhu7_MTo

this one is from a honda but if you listen u can hear a high pitch sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCLy...eature=related
Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Well I had a Summit Racing gift card laying around and I have probably everything I could buy for my MCSS from there so I decided to put the money towards the TB spacer. I installed it today and it was a 30 minute job and went rather smoothly.

I went for a cruise and noticed a whirling, whistling noise that comes from this thing that sounds like a turbo under load, and then once the car reaches a certain RPM, it sounds like the "turbo" blows off. I felt more power at the top end of each gear, low end felt about the same. However the top end of 2nd and 3rd are now a lot stronger and pull the speedo upwards much faster. If you have an extra 100 bucks layin' around then I recommend this mod.
I been saying this for months. Don't have any dyno proof but same results as nacho ss. Most ppl laughed at me but like I said many times before don't knock it till u try it. Looks like more ppl like it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

sweet too many good reviews for it to be crap so who is first to try and stack two of them or make a thicker one on their own? and im a little confused why it matters if you add length before or after the tb? anyway this is going to be my next purchase i think
Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

The spacer works by artificially "increasing" the volume of the intake's plenum. It allows for the car to be a bit more responsive/powerful in higher RPMS because there's more air available before it flows into the runners. It shouldn't really make any difference in the lower RPM, but when the air starts really flowing at upper RPMs, then you should see some difference in the SOTP.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Dyno Proof???
Car hasn't been up on the dyno. They next time it will be dyno'ed is with my NANO 100 shot :devil2:

It sounds akin to a turbo spooling at certain RPMs but once you hit WOT its pretty much quiet. It whistles at the lower end of each gear (low RPMs) and when you put your foot back on the gas after coasting. Its kinda hard to describe but I like it.

here are a few that i looked at. remember that videos can make the sound seem like its not loud..

this one is the best clip to hear the sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYvr...eature=related

this is just a engine shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCjhu7_MTo

this one is from a honda but if you listen u can hear a high pitch sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCLy...eature=related
Somewhat along these lines, maybe a little bit louder but its nicer combined with a V8.
Originally Posted by MonteSS8707

I been saying this for months. Don't have any dyno proof but same results as nacho ss. Most ppl laughed at me but like I said many times before don't knock it till u try it. Looks like more ppl like it.
I knew it would gain something, us LS4 guys are so straped for mods that I'll take every single pony I can get.
Originally Posted by Pauls325
sweet too many good reviews for it to be crap so who is first to try and stack two of them or make a thicker one on their own? and im a little confused why it matters if you add length before or after the tb? anyway this is going to be my next purchase i think
Well if you stacked two I think you would run into problems. It would push the CAI too far forward and you already have to lengthen the crankcase vent tube with 3/8in fuel line anyway. And the pickup on the TB could cause problems because you are moving towards the oil vent lines.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

im thinking i will get one here in the next few weeks. how hard would it be for a complete rookie at installing lol.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

where did you get the 3/8 inch fuel line tube?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got a silicone vacuum line kit from spectre with 3 different sizes: 10ft of 4mm, 5ft of 6mm, 2ft of 10mm. i need to change the route on them because of my new valve covers when it gets warm enough to work on the car again. they just have red and blue though. im sure you can find something if you want black. just search on summit and jegs or go to a local auto store...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

i was the one who gained 9 and 17, it makes a big difference, it took me like 45 min to do and you need a longer air hose cause of the increase in distance. i love the sound though.

Quick Reply: Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict