Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Slow windows fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slow windows fix

Shortly after I got my car I had to do both motors. Not long after I did the work I noticed a couple of times the windows went up slow. I pulled the switch in the handle out and messed with the wires a little and they both went up noticeably faster. So it is pretty easy to see they have a power issue maybe a ground. I was thinking about hot-wiring it or just running a ground. Where would be the best place to get good juice rather than going up to the battery for both doors? Could it be just the ground? Anyone ever use a multimeter on the wiring to see what voltages we have there and if just moving the wires around gives an increase?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for autotrix
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw that a couple of posts down and read through it. I'm thinking it can be less complicated by running to the fuse box or grounds closer and only one or two wires. Was searching for what research was done to figure out the issue.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

autotrix
Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a kit on my car and now my window does not work at all. The window was working fine before and was just a little slow. I have checked the wiring and everything is good. This is the 3rd kit i have installed so I know what I am doing. I tried emailing and PMing autotrix, but have gotton no response...so much for good customer service. I guess this kit was just a waste of my money...I wont be buying another.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
I installed a kit on my car and now my window does not work at all. The window was working fine before and was just a little slow. I have checked the wiring and everything is good. This is the 3rd kit i have installed so I know what I am doing. I tried emailing and PMing autotrix, but have gotton no response...so much for good customer service. I guess this kit was just a waste of my money...I wont be buying another.
For years I have seen noting but good reviews for the autotrix kit. Yours is the first negative review. You must have had success with them in the past since this is the 3rd one you have installed. Were the other two for you or for someone else?

To the OP, The autotrix fix is the way to go. You may have to put a replacement motor in as well but still use the autotrix kit so the new motor doesn't fail prematurely.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
The Autotrix kit consists of some wire and a couple of relays. It's nothing you couldn't do yourself but for the price it's much more convenient to buy the kit.

That being said, my point is that there really isn't much that can go wrong. The only point of failure in the kit is the relays and they are easy to test. Otherwise it comes down to installation mistakes or blown fuses. If you're so sure you know what you're doing then what have you done to diagnose the problem? Have you checked the fuses? Have you tested the relays?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-20-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
For years I have seen noting but good reviews for the autotrix kit. Yours is the first negative review. You must have had success with them in the past since this is the 3rd one you have installed. Were the other two for you or for someone else?

To the OP, The autotrix fix is the way to go. You may have to put a replacement motor in as well but still use the autotrix kit so the new motor doesn't fail prematurely.
The other 2 were for a friend's car and for my other car.
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Autotrix kit consists of some wire and a couple of relays. It's nothing you couldn't do yourself but for the price it's much more convenient to buy the kit.

That being said, my point is that there really isn't much that can go wrong. The only point of failure in the kit is the relays and they are easy to test. Otherwise it comes down to installation mistakes or blown fuses. If you're so sure you know what you're doing then what have you done to diagnose the problem? Have you checked the fuses? Have you tested the relays?
I have checked the fuses and relays and they are both fine. The wiring is exactly like the diagram. I am now in contact with Autotrix to try and diagnose the problem.

EDIT...turns out there was a problem with the window motor, not the kit. The Autotrix kit works fine.

Last edited by nhra-trans-am; 02-05-2009 at 01:38 AM.