Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Engine Problem - No Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Major Engine Problem - No Oil Pressure

The problem started about 4-5 months ago. The Oil pressure would read zero for several seconds after starting, then jump up to the normal range. Well today the problem got worse. The problem only happened at start. Once the car was running, the oil pressure never dropped to zero.

While working today with my neighbor the mechanic, we had the car idling for a while and it had no pressure. When clickity-clack later, the car is on ramps in my garage right now.

Where do I start? Could it be the pressure relief valve?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Well right now I'm assuming its the oil pump since its a 2000. So I'm disassembling the front end of the car right now (removing radiator...etc)
Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like it has been going on way too long to be able to just change the pump. I just killed an LS engine from losing an oil pump, went through all the work of changing it out for a Meiling high pressure just to find out that it had spun a main or wiped out a cam bearing. Probably not what you wanted to hear but you don't have a lot of time to diagnose oil pump issues and it sounds like your has run a good bit since it started.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Well for the time it was happening, it was only reading zero for a few seconds (20-30 max) at the start, then for the 45 minute commute it would be fine. This happened maybe 8 times total. Today was different because I was just idling the car in the driveway and it never recovered. During this time I had just assumed it was a guage issue But then I hear some not so nice noise coming from the engine bay.

What are my chances? I guess I have to replace the pump just to try.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the noise was the lifters collapsing due to lack of oil pressure, it only takes a few seconds on the bearings with no oil..That is what I am saying.