Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Problem, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Problem, need some help

I took the Camaro out of the garage today, and drove it down to the gas station (nice weather today). The 315's rub like crazy, on one side. No rub at all on the other side. But they're rubbing on the outside fender lip, not the inside. The rear end is centered at the height it sits (I do have an adj. PHB on the way to be safe). It does sit high on the driver side, and low on the passenger side (where it rubs), but I'm told that is completely normal. My wheels are the TTM's, 17x10.5 rear. Tomz says that these are only offered in one offset, so I'm confused as to why mine stick out so far. There's plenty of room behind them, I didn't have to hammer on the inner fender well at all. I've already hammered on my fender lip a bit to see if it changed anything, but no good. I'm also confused as to how people can lower their camaro's and not have tires this wide rub. Any help? I can't drive my Camaro at all thanks to this problem.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Can someone measure the length of their wheel studs with the disk on? I'm thinking that my problem is my disk brakes. When I went to the auto parts store and bought the new rear rotors, the guy looking them up noticed the stock replacements were stamped rotors. He said that 1 piece cast would be better, so he got me some disks that where the same size as the stamped one, but in 1 piece cast. I'm thinking the hat might be thicker with these, making my wheels stick out. Can't imagine it would be a whole lot though. I did notice that there's aren't much for threads when you put the wheel on.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Man I don't know what it could be. But I will say that when I mounted my 17x10.5 TTM's there weren't many threads sticking out either. I had to use an acorn style lug with just a little shank on it so I could get more contact with the threads.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

I went out today and bashed on my fenders some, and they still rub. It's starting to **** me off. There's plenty of room behind the wheels, but tomz says there's only one offset. What upsets me is when I was shopping for wheels, I asked them about a set of wheels and they said they would require mods for them to fit. Well, I ask about these, and no mods. Obviously this isn't true, kinda makes me dislike tomz. Hopefully this gets figured out.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

adj. PHB should fix, if only rub on one side and not the other, may also need adj lca which will only adj forward/ back
Johnny
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I've got an adj. phb coming, but my rear is centered with the stocker in there. If anything I'll run spacers under my bump stops, or get stiffer rear springs. Though I was hoping to get some strano lowering springs some day, that dream just floated away
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats strange, I have the same exact wheels as you (Chrome TTM's 275/315). When I first put them on I massaged the inner fenders alittle on both sides to make sure it would never rub even though it never rubbed in the first place.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I've got a lot of space behind them, I thought I would have to smash the heck out of my inner fender wells. But I didn't.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Could the problem be my springs? I have the soft 96 V6 springs in the back. But I doubt that is the issue since many people lower their f-bodies with these wheels.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Post some pics of where the wheel is rubbing. I ran these with no problems on my Firebird and my Buddy runs the same wheels on his Camaro. They do fit with no modification. Don't dislike Tomzwheels just because there might be a genuine problem with your car and nobody elses.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

This is after I bashed on my fenders to try and fix the problem, it's like this on both sides.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

theres no way your rear end can be centered... usually the rubbing is waaaay farther out towards the sidewall. and by the looks of things those are sumitomos and they run awful narrow for a 315. I really think an adj panhard bar will be your fix all
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I have an APHB on the way, I guess I'll see when it comes this week. What confuses me is the tire on the driver side side is rubbing in the same spot, but not as aggressive. Yes they are sumi's.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Just reading through my posts here. If you're curious why I said that they rub on one side in my OP, but now say they rub on both, that's because I took it out on a bumpier road. Sorry for my lack of info.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if its rubbing on both then its not your PHB.

are there still bump stops on the rear of the car? sounds like they could have been removed, allowing the suspension to travel too far.

OR, like you said your springs/shocks could be severly worn.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Shocks are brand new. And the original bump stops are still in there (a bit soft though). I have new bump stops from herron performance on the way. My last guess is the rear springs. I'm going to price some new ones from Napa tomorrow through the shop (to get them at wholesale price). But I really wanted to use strano's lowering springs, but I don't think lowering with this rubbing problem is a smart move.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah something really just doesnt make sense here. sounds to me like your car might be lowered a lot already or something. i used to have 315 BFG drag radials which are HUGE on stock springs and shocks, with the heater hose mod and the same wheels and came nowhere near rubbing.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

I've still got the isolator on top of the springs, and they're stock springs (have the tag on them still). I'm lost. I'm going to throw some late model V8 springs in there and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you get a chance go out and measure from the very bottom of your wheel to the highest part of the rear fender. im curious as to what the ride height is.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Matt. Something else is going on man. You are bottoming out your suspension and that is why it is rubbing soo bad.