Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 just swapped no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 just swapped no oil pressure

Hello, I just got done re-installing my ls1 and we started it up for the first time and it wasn't reading any oil pressure. Turned it off, turned it back on, still nothing (we waited like 30 seconds too). My check engine light isnt on, my oil "idiot" light isnt on, but the gauge isn't reading any pressure. We took the covers off to check the rocker arms, and they were barely oiled at all. Anyone know what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

check the lines! also that happend to me i did a swap on my 95 t/a lt1 to a lq4 block wasnt reading but the stupid mechanic didnt relize he broke my oil pressure sending unit didnt look broken either but it was it solved everything check out those 2 possibilites
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

did you replace the oil pump and maybe pinch the o-ring? or the dog bone looking thing in the back of the block?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with the oil pump o-ring. That is the most common problem with new motors not seeing any oil pressure. From there, I would check the oil restrictor in the back of the block, oil galley plug in the front of the block. From there make sure the oil pressure sending unit is working and the grounds are all hooked up properly. Does the gauge flicker when you turn the key on? If not, there is a good chance it is the oil sending unit.

Jon
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks to everyone. We did put a new oil pump on, which may be the problem. We will try some stuff and let you know how it goes... If anyone else has any other experience/suggestions, let me know! Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Teching In

No, the gauge doesnt do anything, and its an external gauge, no one in the car. You think the car might have oil pressure but it isnt reporting it?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

I put a used ls1 in and it had no pressure. I had it out 3 times putting the Oring in etc.. etc.. still no pressure. I said F... it and filled it up with 19+qts of cheap 5w30 oil until oil ran out the plug on the drivers side just past the pump. Turned it over instant pressure. I then drained it and filled with mobile one to normal level. Has worked ever sense. Some LS1's will not prime themselfs if the pump is dry. There are primer kits but not sure were to buy one. good luck
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

I had the extact same problem, even went and bought a mechanical gage and still showed 0psi. That's when I noticed the oil in the line to the mech. gage didn't get all the way to the gauge. Turned out it needed another 1/2 quart of oil.