LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 vs built lt1

Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lt4 vs built lt1

Is a 62xxx mile lt4 a good deal for 2000$ or should I just put that towards building my lt1, I was reading the differences between the two and the lt4 has a bunch going for it , just want some opinions.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are your current mods on your lt1?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

engines out but I have pacesetter lt a cc503 and 1.6 rr, lt4 km, 52mm tb
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew ws6
engines out but I have pacesetter lt a cc503 and 1.6 rr, lt4 km, 52mm tb
My engine is identical to yours. Don't buy the LT4, stick with your LT1, it should smoke the **** out of a stock LT4. Take that 2k and use it towards some ported heads, a larger cam, or both.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

yea you can get some nice heads from elliot. or if ur an auto a nice stall.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Teching In

whats the difference between the two besides heads cam and intake?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Heads, Cam, Intake, Rockers, Crankshaft, Timing Set, 4 Bolt Main.

I think that's all of them.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The crank is MACHINED a little differently, seeing as nobody is breaking LT1 cranks I see little to no benifit there but it is different. The rods are powdered metal like the LT1 but are fractured cap so the caps wont wiggle as much at high rpms, nice but now worth the premium price. Pistons are far as I know same constriction but maybe smaller reliefs for a little more compression. Intake has the SAME internal plenum and ports as the LT1, has extra material above the ports. Heads are great in bench racing land but here in the real world they don't live up to the hype.

Ignorance is the biggest reason to buy an LT4, hopefully you are no longer ignorant about it and will pass on it unless the price drops to about a third of what it is now, maybe a half and then sell to heads to someone who doesn't know any better.

The ONLY LT4 part I would be actually interested in is the valves, they are light.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Ignorance is the biggest reason to buy an LT4, hopefully you are no longer ignorant about it and will pass on it unless the price drops to about a third of what it is now, maybe a half and then sell the heads to someone who doesn't know any better.
Well said, well said lol
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

The crank is MACHINED a little differently, seeing as nobody is breaking LT1 cranks I see little to no benifit there but it is different. The rods are powdered metal like the LT1 but are fractured cap so the caps wont wiggle as much at high rpms, nice but now worth the premium price. Pistons are far as I know same constriction but maybe smaller reliefs for a little more compression. Intake has the SAME internal plenum and ports as the LT1, has extra material above the ports. Heads are great in bench racing land but here in the real world they don't live up to the hype.

Ignorance is the biggest reason to buy an LT4, hopefully you are no longer ignorant about it and will pass on it unless the price drops to about a third of what it is now, maybe a half and then sell to heads to someone who doesn't know any better.

The ONLY LT4 part I would be actually interested in is the valves, they are light.

Ignorance is calling somebody ignorant when you have no idea what path they have in mind. I have no intensions of going to the strip or racing unless its a just for the hell of it thing. Runnig 11's is something I could care less about doing. I just want a good reliable, good sounding car with enough get up and go to have a little fun with. Just dont take to well to being called ignorant.

Andrew
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Teching In

i went ahead with the lt4 hot cam, ported my lt1 heads and intake and a few people said that was a better cheaper rt then going with an lt4. hopefully the car makes 350hp with that stuff, if now ill be a little disapointed
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ignorance is calling somebody ignorant when you have no idea what path they have in mind. I have no intensions of going to the strip or racing unless its a just for the hell of it thing. Runnig 11's is something I could care less about doing. I just want a good reliable, good sounding car with enough get up and go to have a little fun with. Just dont take to well to being called ignorant.

Andrew
The engines will be around the same when it comes to reliability. You already have a good cam in your LT1, just put the $2,000 towards that.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Couldnt have said it better myself

build the LTJuan
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ignorance is not knowing something, STUPIDITY is refusing to learn. Appears I was wrong to use the term ignorant, my mistake.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Andrew
you can spend less and get more power and even better reliability since its newer tech(not that you'll have any problems with LT4 stuff) of course if thats how u want to spend your money go right ahead, but your the one who asked for advice buddy
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ > lt4
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
you can spend less and get more power and even better reliability since its newer tech(not that you'll have any problems with LT4 stuff) of course if thats how u want to spend your money go right ahead, but your the one who asked for advice buddy
Thank you, I did ask for opinions on the two engines. That helped alot with my decision but I did not ask it to be called ignorant just because my thinking and somebody elses opinion is different.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apples to apples a built LT4 will beat the turd out of a built LT1.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have no real reason to get the LT4, stick with what you already have. A set of le2/3 heads would mop the floor with stock lt4's. If you were building a racecar it would be another story, but your not.

with what you have and what your looking for a nice set of heads would be the way to go. They are the only thing you are missing.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Apples to apples a built LT4 will beat the turd out of a built LT1.

Can't say that I agree with this statement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt4 vs built lt1