Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives here my LS1 requires later style head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What gives here my LS1 requires later style head bolts?

The LS1 in my 2002 camaro SS requires the later style head bolts. The engine in the car was changed at a dealer back in 2005 for a warranty issue. I have the car in the shop right now for heads and cam and they called me and told me my ARP heads studs won't work. Has any one ever heard any thing like this? The guys at the shop work on nothing but LS based stuff and they have never seen this before on a LS1 car. He said that I actually need LS2 head bolts. I know the lq4s after 2003 required the different head bolts but I thought all LS1 used the same.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
The engine in the car was changed at a dealer back in 2005 for a warranty issue.
You must have gotten an engine equivalent to an 04 GTO LS1. I have a shortblock that came out of the same and I use the 2004 and later ARP head studs # 234-4317
Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, you got the '04 LS1/6 block.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

so whats are all oof the differences in the two blocks? Is the block that I have the same as an ls6 block or what?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It's not necessarily an LS6 block....just in 2004 GM switched to the new style bolts. Most of the GTO's got them in 2004+. For all practical purposes, the head bolts is the only real difference.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

so whats are all oof the differences in the two blocks? Is the block that I have the same as an ls6 block or what?
I'm not saying that you do have, but my block casting numbers shows my block that came out of the GTO is a LS6 block. Not sure that means much though... Just buy the ARP part number I listed and call it a day.

Last edited by frito1; 01-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it require the new style valley cover and lifter trays?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
No, the '04 LS1 blocks still used the Gen3 front cover and valley cover...just newer bolts.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frito1
I'm not saying that you do have, but my block casting numbers shows my block that came out of the GTO is a LS6 block. Not sure that means much though... Just buy the ARP part number I listed and call it a day.
I am just looking for any positive to this I can considering It pissed me off that the ARP head stud I paid $250 for wont even work. If there are any pluses to the newer style block than at least I am glad for that.

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I am not really sure but I hope the new lifter trays I just ordered from Scoggin Dickey will work in this motor
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I am 99% sure you'll need LS2 trays.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

I am just looking for any positive to this I can considering It pissed me off that the ARP head stud I paid $250 for wont even work. If there are any pluses to the newer style block than at least I am glad for that.

I am not really sure but I hope the new lifter trays I just ordered from Scoggin Dickey will work in this motor
Sorry dude there is no positive you just got the wrong studs. The only difference is the older style had different size studs as where the new style has all the same size studs. Thats why its not working. Lifter trays are still the same.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks because I am surethey sold me regular ls1 trays. I guess I will look for my reciept and see what part number I got.
Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I am 99% sure you'll need LS2 trays.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Sorry dude there is no positive you just got the wrong studs. The only difference is the older style had different size studs as where the new style has all the same size studs. Thats why its not working. Lifter trays are still the same.
Well there is a plus then if the lifter trays are the same that means I'm not stuck with a new set of ls1 lifter trays that won't work but then again I am probably not that lucky As far as why the head studs won't work it was pretty obvious when the old head bolts were coming out they were different. Atleast one of the local shops here swapped me a new set of LS2 head studs for my LS1 studs. Thanks Advance Racing technologies (ARD).

Quick Reply: What gives here my LS1 requires later style head bolts?