Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on MS3 cam.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on MS3 cam.

Everywhere i look, i see people with the magic stick 3 cam on stock heads. so i was wondering if its smart to run the cam on completely stock heads? my reason for being so curious of this is because ive wanted to do the same thing for a while. i have just now started looking into this. so what do you guys think?

1998 ls1 - 17,000 on rebuilt motor. runs strong
Pacesetter long tubes
ORY
Flowmaster

these are the only mods i have done so far. would i be safe to go ahead and install the ms3 cam into my car. if not, what other supporting mods would i have to get(other than heads) to get this cam installed. dont hold back if this sounds retarted. the only way to learn is to ask, right? so im open to suggestions.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u would need valve springs,retainers and locks.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like 383lt1impala said, you will want the PRC spring kit also. Is it an auto car or a six speed car? To get the most out of this cam, if you're an auto car, your going to want at LEAST a 4000 stall, and 4.10 gear. If your a six speed car, hope you have a clutch that loves life, along with a good gear to put it in its power band. Being a 98, I'd put a new HV oil pump on it while you're there, along with at least an LS6 intake and ported TB.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Launching!

something else i forgot in the post.
if i do install this cam on stock heads, how long until i will have to replace the springs and such.
this will not be my DD after i install this cam. also, after the install, i do plan on all the supporting mods and more. right now im just looking for a fun street car.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Like 383lt1impala said, you will want the PRC spring kit also. Is it an auto car or a six speed car? To get the most out of this cam, if you're an auto car, your going to want at LEAST a 4000 stall, and 4.10 gear. If your a six speed car, hope you have a clutch that loves life, along with a good gear to put it in its power band. Being a 98, I'd put a new HV oil pump on it while you're there, along with at least an LS6 intake and ported TB.
it is a 6spd. i plan on getting all the other things such has the intake, throttle body, clutch, gears, ect. in the NEAR future. i guess rite now im just looking at the cam. its all going to be a process.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your stock springs will not hold that cam, you will need to upgrade them with the cam along with pushrods. your engine is not setup to take advantage of that cam. Whats gonna hurt you is your intake, you need a ls6 intake at minimum. If you have the stock airbox mod it or ditch it for a better setup. A good cold air intake will help. Also figure in at least another 200 dollars for the mail order tune, car wont run for crap without it. To be safe you really need to be sure of your piston to valve clearance, with the heads being stock you may be fine, I would consult Texas speed. the last thing you want to do is send a valve into the top of your piston..
Do a search on the site for FREE Mods, they are not earth moving gains but every little bit helps.
I have an M6 also and can tell you the list of stuff to accomodate big power is long and expensive. I have been purchasing parts for 5 months now and am almost there. Heads, cam, Ported Fast intake/TB Built trans, Ram clutch, Driveshaft, Ford 9"

There are alot of sponsors on this site that can help you get the power you want by helping you choose a cam, Give em a call, I just had a custom cam specd out for me today a cam is around 400 bucks, so get what you want the first time. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Read my sig, I'm going to a 233/238 cam. those are most of the mods you need. I still need the clutch and 9" rear. If you arent a 01-02 car I'd get a used LS6 intake manifold.