Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help - wont start after theft repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - wont start after theft repair

I will try to explain this as quickly as possible. I saw a local craigslist ad where a guy was selling a "500 hp LS1" and bunch of other parts from his wrecked "10 second guaranteed" 2001 Z28 very cheaply. Being a military family on a tight budget and trusting in the integrity of an active duty US Marine, I tried to save some money by going with used parts for my 2000 Z28. So, my friend who builds hotrods (not an LS1 guy) (to act as an objective observer) and I went to his house and met him to buy the parts.

The seller an Active Duty US Marine (M**k G***m) at MiraMar said all the right things in relation to what I had read on LS1tech.com (LS6 intake, thunder custom cam/fancy double valve springs, hooker LT headers/spintech mufflers, Edelbrock LS6 ported and polished heads, complete interior, body parts, etc...). Additionally, he agreed to install his motor and performance parts for free if I bought everything from his old camaro.

We agreed on a price and when he got halfway through the job he got pissed off about something and left, taking some parts I purchased from him and some of my tools as well. The k member was out both engines were disassembled and basically a complete mess.

I hired a mobile mechanic service come out and reassemble the car, but now it wont start. They think there is something wrong with the LS 6 heads and LS6 manifold, because a couple of plugs have no homes and the motor pops like the timing is off when cranking it. The mobile mechanics pulled the timing chain and reset the timing by the book, but no improvement. They want to put the old heads and LS1 manifold back on. I hope you guys know something that could help fix this with the performance parts still on the motor and not breaking the bank.

Last edited by thook; 01-20-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for starters that combo is not going to make 500hp and has piston to valve clearance been checked? center line on the cam right?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coil pack wire harness flipped over?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What the hell? I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but why'd you let him leave?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the grounds on the back of the drivers side head. Theres three of them..
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
coil pack wire harness flipped over?
Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Check the grounds on the back of the drivers side head. Theres three of them..
Both are good suggestions. If you can take a pic of any of the sensor and/or pigtails that do not have homes, and their approximate location on the harness, I'm sure we can figure out where they belong!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!