Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel lock or brake lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel lock or brake lock?

My car came with the basic stock alarm but I feel like it's not doing a whole lot. Eventually I will be upgrading the alarm system to something higher end with a lot more features, but for right now I am thinking about getting some type of lock for the steering wheel. I've heard that steering wheel locks are no good because thieves can cut right through the steering wheel, but is this true or just a marketing gimmick? There are also locks that attach onto your brake, but how effective are these?

Are there any other locks that I did not list that would be effective? Any specific suggestions?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO, I dont care if you lock the steering wheel, brake pedal, and disconnect the battery. It wont stop most car theives. If they want your car they will take it. No matter how many locks you have a tow truck can still easily take it.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have both of them on my car it wont stop them but it will buy you some time.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Steering wheel lock: Thieves cut the wheel and removed the lock.

Brake/Clutch lock: Much more difficult to break/remove. Can't start/move the car with it installed (depending on manual/auto trans). With time/determination they will get past it, but most probably will just skip to the next car.

Towing: Park the car face-in between two others with the front wheels at full lock (all the way left or all the way right). This makes it much more difficult to tow because they can't drag it out from the back. It will hit the other parked cars. Unless, of course, they break in, disable the steering wheel lock, and straighten the wheels. Or put the front wheels on dollies. Unless they are dead-set on taking that car, its probably more time/difficulty than they want to deal with, so they will just skip to the next car.