Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS Problems

I purchased a used sts system and I have all my pipes and turbo mounted. my problem is the pcv system is missing and so is the wire harness. The oil pump is a shurflo. here are some pics
anything else missing that i should know about, thanks
also i bought the lingenfelter turbo oil block

Last edited by pdasterly; 01-20-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdasterly
I purchased a used sts system and I have all my pipes and turbo mounted. my problem is the pcv system is missing and so is the wire harness. The oil pump is a shurflo. here are some pics
anything else missing that i should know about, thanks
Oh my. You might have more than 1x issue from the looks of those pictures from e-bay. To begin with, the intercooler looks very smll (guessing it's about 12-18 inches high?) + it's painted. Most times painting reduces efficiency. Might want to seriously look at aftermarket FMIC's (or meth). There's more.....but.......

Anyhow, on to your Q....

1. Scrap the oil pump for a Mocal. Never heard of shurflo, but Mocal's are tried and tested. That is one part of the system you do NOT want to fail.
2. Get a catchcan and you will not need to worry about the PCV cutoff switch. There are a lot of posts in this forum on how to route it.
3. Look at this post. It will tell you more than you want to know about STS oiling issues, fixes, and important to you.....how to wire things without using the STS harness (at the end). https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html
4. Check out some of the posts by Zombie and LongRange4U. Tons of info, fabrication, nd generally good info for any rear mount turbo user.

Good luck............
Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive heard that "Good Luck......." before.

Heres what it means:

Just be sure to take your time to work out all the kinks.
This kit just takes time to get it running right. dont over look anything.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Ive heard that "Good Luck......." before.
Heres what it means:
Just be sure to take your time to work out all the kinks.
This kit just takes time to get it running right. dont over look anything.
I agree. No F/I kit is complete, it would look too expensive out the gate. And one like yours, well, let's just say you will be quite familiar with it by the time you are done.
I have heard of Shurflo, but never used them.
I always hesitate to throw away parts until I find they are faulty, but that is just me. Parts replacement has never been my forte. For example, if the pump works fine, why replace it? If the intercooler lowers your IATs to a reasonable level, why replace it? But I do run a methanol injection system, which does serve as a good backup.
I agree about a catch can. You can find them for various prices with sponsors and even fleabay.
I was not able to see any details on your pics, so I can't comment any further on what you have.
Been running an STS for almost 5 years with no STS-related issues.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

the intercooler mounts under the car behind the air dam