LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick Q on LPPs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick Q on LPPs

The other week when I was installing them, I noticed that the back of the Y looked like it was meant to slip into the stock piping to the mufflers. I couldn't get it to work at all. Am I wrong in thinking that's what's supposed to be?

I don't want to pay to get it welded if I don't have to, but I couldn't get it together and I ended up pulling my exhaust all the way off.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im not sure, i have a 3" flowmaster catback (american thunder series) and it was a pain to slip the y pipe into but i eventually got it
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

You can't even weld mild steel to SS. So how do I do this? I spent a long time trying to get it together and an extra few hours just pulling the stupid catback.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shutzero
im not sure, i have a 3" flowmaster catback (american thunder series) and it was a pain to slip the y pipe into but i eventually got it
It would be a HUGE headache to get the catback back in place just to find out it won't go on.

I could cut off the straight portion of the pipe and slip it on then get the rest of the catback welded on later.

But I want to skip welding altogether. What a headache.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i actually had to use one of those pipe spreaders for the catback i think...i cant remember exactly how i had to do it but i remember that part took me a good couple of hours to figure out what to do and get it in
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The back of the LPP is intended to merge into the stock pipes. Most will cut that reducer off and create a small intermediate pipe that can be expanded by any muffler shop. Or you can simply expand the LPP pipe once the reducer is cut off.

Quick Reply: quick Q on LPPs