Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally bright headlights for a T/A

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally bright headlights for a T/A

Guys i know that the T/A has some of the worst headlights and everyone is constantly looking for better and more importantly BRIGHTER lights. I recently talked to Daniel Stern who is America's premier automotive lighting consultant. His direct quote was that the T/A has one of the worst headlamp systems ever to hit the road in North America. He also said that the fog lamps are a total dead end and inadequate for any kind of illumination task.

Fortunatley he had some recommendations and i am happy to report that this is a fix that i believe many T/A drivers might be interested in. He refered me to Susquehanna MotorSports at *Non-sponsor link removed*
I spoke to Will and learned quite a bit while on the phone with him. This is a family run business in PA, and a direct distributor for HELLA.

As some of you might know the T/A headlights are not legal in other countries because they are so pathetic. So the solution that was used was GM had Bosch make BOSCH/Guide conversion headlamps that were designed for GM export vehicles going to countries that require E Code Headlamps. These units are 150mm and you can use any H4 bulb. They are a direct bolt-on replacement for the sealed beam lamps currently in the car. They have kits ready for either 2 or 4 lamp replacement and a harness to replace the factory wiring. Just fyi most factory lighting wiring harnesses are inadiquate and use wires that are way to small. I decided to replace all 4 of the lights and harness. The kit comes with Hella H4 60/55w bulbs. I asked Will if i should upgrade and he said that he would recommed waiting because this new setup would have around 400% more light output that the stock configuration. The kit comes with instructions, wiring, relays, everything needed.

I did talk to Will about possible interest from many of the users. He said that there is a good chance a discount code could be worked out for members of the Forum, however he doesnt want it just posted in an area where non-members could atain it. I am sure there are going to be some questions feel free to PM me with any. I can say that Will was great on the phone and my kit shipped out same day as the order. I will post some pics once i am started with the project.

Just so everyone knows Susquehanna sells alot of products not just lights, so look over their site or give them a call. Their number is on their site.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by LawmanSS; 01-20-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have part numbers off the website or a direct link to a kit?

are they hids? that would be a big plus if they were. most of the t/a owners go to hid when they change out there lights

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 01-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Need more info.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need more info on this. Do you have a pricing info? One more thing, are these plug and play?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

also need info
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about LT1 TA's? I have to drive with my brights on 100% of the time to see where im going.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Eurolamps housings look to be a much cheaper alternative.

Last edited by wannafbody; 01-20-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Eurolamps housings look to be a much cheaper alternative.
Thats what I have on my car, and they are better than stock but not great. I used their brightest bulb, and even put silver star ultras in them and they are still pathetic when compare to other cars.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed. I hate I just replaced all 4 with new ones last spring...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Will we have a lock-up here for non-sponsorship links?
Come'on man, people want details on exactly what product numbers to use, not a generic, 'T/A lights are crap', ...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Will we have a lock-up here for non-sponsorship links?
Come'on man, people want details on exactly what product numbers to use, not a generic, 'T/A lights are crap', ...
i dont think any sponsors sell headlights..
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I spoke with these guys a while back, the kit is a great upgrade. Its true, the TA does have terrible headlights and GM did contract Bosch to develop units for exports. They are plug and play, except you have to change the wire harness.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Pics?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Well the easiest thing to do if you have technical questions is to call and talk to Will at the phone number on the website. As far as pricing goes it really depends on what all you are wanting to swap. You could change out just your low/high beam. Or you could change out the Hi beam only. Or you could change out all 4. In addition one of the best upgrades is just installing the upgraded wiring harness. The new one can carry much more current than the factory wiring. Now on the subject of HIDs, no these are not HID's. You can run zenon or any H4 style bulb. But all of these HID aftermarket kits are not legal to drive with. If you pay attention all of the plug and play HID kits are made in China. The reason for this is they dont care about the federal regulations, and in reality the kits are not a true HID. For those kits there is actually a $6000 fine per bulb and balast that the US government could fine you. Now that being said i know there are tons of HID kits out there and i have some on my 300ztt. Now i dont know about everone else but i didnt want to purchase some of the HID projectors, and then have to mod everything up. Have to make a fiberglass shroud to make a clean install and still spend alot of time and money. I am replacing all 4 of the actual lights in the front of the car. The new housings will allow me to run any H4 style bulb which is the most widely used bulb type. I am upgrading my factory wiring harness that will carry more current SAFTLY for the higher wattage bulbs AND it is from a highly reputable company here in the US where if i have any problems they will take care of me. My order ended up being around $350 shipped. When it arrives i will be able to replace everything and have a much better lighting solution for the TA. If you want to see the product go to the website and go under the Hella section, and Headlight upgrades. It will explain to you some of the details on the page. The product you need is the 150mm. Ignore the pricing on the page because it is not the right price. Each of the new conversion lights is around $60 not the 200 something it says on the site. That is why i said just call and speak to Will and he will steer you in the right direction.

Matt

Last edited by 98legendws6; 01-20-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im definately interested. I HATE my headlights.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

lol this is why I have HIDs in my Bird, at least I can see now. I will be watching this thread though, I am quite interested, and confused at the same time.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Launching!

LOL i know like i said i have Kaixen 4200 Kelvin HIDs in my 300. However once you talk to people who TALK headlights you start to realize that there are other things on the market that will outperform HIDs. Basically everything i have read and from talking to Will and Daniel Stern. HIDs are great. IF they are being used in a housing that was designed to work with the HID bulb. All of the plug and play HID kits were not designed to just be stuck into a random housing and work perfectly. They need to be aimed precisely, and the inside of the projector needs to be made to focus the bulb correctly. Now i cannot claim to know all of the tech info for this stuff but i am really good at gathering info and compiling it and comming to a good decision. I have read on the forum about the horrid headlights quite a bit and of course driving my own car i know how bad they are. I was just trying to put something out there that nobody else knew about yet. I just hope some people take advantage of this great product. By all means wait until i receive everything and i will post up before and after pics, and any info that anyone might want.

Matt
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

wow 98legend........ 5 line rule..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please post your installed lights in this thread..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Paragraphs, man, paragraphs! I wanna see pics of these so called lights

Quick Reply: Finally bright headlights for a T/A