Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How come there are so little F.I. bin files?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How come there are so little F.I. bin files?

I was just looking for supercharger bin files in hptuners bin file repository and there are barely any at all, yet when I checked in this forum there are tons of F.I set-ups. can anybody out there upload some kenne bell tunes or other known twin screw type supercharger tunes?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by buktooth
I was just looking for supercharger bin files in hptuners bin file repository and there are barely any at all, yet when I checked in this forum there are tons of F.I set-ups. can anybody out there upload some kenne bell tunes or other known twin screw type supercharger tunes?
Thanks in advance!

For the most part you dont see them because alot of people spend alot of time/money makign these tunes. They either do it for a living, and dont want to do it for free as its there income, or they probably paid someone a decent amount and dont want to give it away for free.

Im turbo so i wouldn't be very beneficial for you, and i just started learning.

Your best bet, is going to be learn as much as you can, figure it out, and post up questions with your files, and people will help, but they wont give you a tune for free.

Chris
Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^What he said........and there are 1,000s of build combinations, all being different.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by buktooth
Thanks in advance!
An internet .bin file for an FI application is the equivalent of throwing a hand grenade in your motor without knowing if the pin is pulled or not. Odds are you will never find one that is even close enough to your combo to be safe and the odds of finding one that drives good and makes power are even lower.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

agreed with everything said so far,it is nice to have another tune to reference changes from but usually just dont happen.just a matter of asking the right questions.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd post mine but i have no way of getting it online. Old laptop w/o cable, and wont read my external HD.

I dont see why people think they should get money for them...greedy bastards.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I'd post mine but i have no way of getting it online. Old laptop w/o cable, and wont read my external HD.

I dont see why people think they should get money for them...greedy bastards.
Why shoudn't people charge $$ for their time and experience when tuning? When done correctly, it's an all-day affair. By this logic, any shop that charges labor to do machine work or any other repair are greedy bastards too. If you mean $$ for a bin file.....haven't seen that as being the issue. Read on for my reasoning

Concerning tuning, I learned to do my own. I've always been more than happy to answer Q's about various tuning aspects and have helped out several people from general Ve Q's to specific timing tables. When I have a tuning question, I talk to my friend Brian at Va Speed.

However, every car is different and it takes time to really tune a car correctly, especially getting the day-to-day part throttle operations nice and smooth. A lot of people don't understand this and think a magic bin file can be slapped in and "presto"...car's done. This then gets into liability issues, as
many people will get sue-happy or at the least post what an Asshat a person is if the bin file they downloaded didn't work perfect in their specific car.

In short....between $$, time, and liability, people don't usually post them.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
In short....between $$, time, and liability, people don't usually post them.
sums it up nicely
Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Schantin
Why shoudn't people charge $$ for their time and experience when tuning? When done correctly, it's an all-day affair. By this logic, any shop that charges labor to do machine work or any other repair are greedy bastards too. If you mean $$ for a bin file.....haven't seen that as being the issue. Read on for my reasoning
Like you say every one is different.. So selling a tune is a waste. Unless you have a guarantee clause in there saying it will surely work, then charge all you want. Most are just base starting points. Time does not = money. Someone can take 100 hours to achieve the same thing another can achieve in 1 hour. So having the same given thing of equal quality does not make one worth more than the other because it took longer to get. Everyone knows you never get your time back out of anything you sell.....unless you have something so rare and unreal....which is few and far.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Like you say every one is different.. So selling a tune is a waste. Unless you have a guarantee clause in there saying it will surely work, then charge all you want. Most are just base starting points. Time does not = money. Someone can take 100 hours to achieve the same thing another can achieve in 1 hour. So having the same given thing of equal quality does not make one worth more than the other because it took longer to get. Everyone knows you never get your time back out of anything you sell.....unless you have something so rare and unreal....which is few and far.
If you are short enough on knowledge or experience that you feel that you need to use the repository, how can you know WHAT you are even downloading or loading up? How will you even know if the base injector tables are right? If they are wrong, everything that follows is as well...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the ones on hptuners just to look over, i downloaded every ls turbo tune from the site and spent a little time going over each one just to see the diffrences. the truth is that unless you are just really interested in the tuning process (my case) you should take it to someone that does it all the time. i dont even wanna guess how many hours (weeks haha) ive spent learning about stuff and doing my tune. chances are frost or some of these other guys would say it looks terrible and fix it in less than an hour.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crf538
i used the ones on hptuners just to look over, i downloaded every ls turbo tune from the site and spent a little time going over each one just to see the diffrences. the truth is that unless you are just really interested in the tuning process (my case) you should take it to someone that does it all the time. i dont even wanna guess how many hours (weeks haha) ive spent learning about stuff and doing my tune. chances are frost or some of these other guys would say it looks terrible and fix it in less than an hour.
Before I tuned my turbo setup I did the same... Looked at all the other ones in comparison to what they had done to the car. Then messed around with my N/A car for at least a year before i did the turbo. So if I add up all the time learning I take that into account and put a value on the final product....as you say... someone else could do it in 30 min.

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 01-21-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

For the life of me, I will never understand how someone can spend several thousand dollars on a FI setup and then try to be a cheap *** and not spend the $400 to $500 for a good tune.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

What's to look at? The VE table's not gona work, the MAF tables not gona work, the timing tables are not gona work... With FI tuning pretty much EVERY setup is gona be different (some GREATLY). They all need to be dialed in to what that particular car wants/needs. You just start them rich and low timing and back it down/up till it's happy and making good power. Just my opinion...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
What's to look at? The VE table's not gona work, the MAF tables not gona work, the timing tables are not gona work... With FI tuning pretty much EVERY setup is gona be different (some GREATLY). They all need to be dialed in to what that particular car wants/needs. You just start them rich and low timing and back it down/up till it's happy and making good power. Just my opinion...
that's not an opinion, it's the way it is