Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt 4L60E- second gear start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilt 4L60E- second gear start

Freshly rebuilt stock 4L60E with stock converter. Everything works as it should except for it starts off in second gear. Sometimes it will go into first if you shift into D1 and run it up to around 30MPH and let off the gas. When it does go into first, it holds fine, doesn't slip and will shift out normally when the lever is moved to D2. The next time you stop and take off, it starts in second again. The GM manual says for second gear starts, the forward sprag in assembled backwards. If this is the case, would it work sometimes like I've described above? All the clutches, seals, pistons, solenoids, etc inside are new. Everything including the valve body was disassembled and cleaned, and the cooler flushed. There are no codes in the PCM, and it is showing the proper commanded gear at the right times according to the Tech 2. Anyone have an idea on what to look at first?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the sprag were assembled backwards you would have more problems than that,
I would check over the 1-2 shift valve assembly just behind the 1-2 solenoid perhaps the spring that returns the valve is missing, wrong one or broken since valve body was disassembled , Note the 2-3 does not have a spring while the 1-2 does and a rather stiff one at that.
And check that the 1-2 shift valve assembly is in there properly . and you might consider changing the 1-2 solenoid if you dont find and issue there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Check you line pressure at an idle also! The 1-2 valve may not move due to low pressure at an idle.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm fairly confident the 1-2 and 2-3 valvetrain are assembled correctly. Obviously I'll be checking them again though. Both solenoids are new AC-Delco units. The line pressure is around 110psi at idle, and rises with the throttle as it should. Drove it again and noticed another symptom. With the lever in any forward gear, the vehicle will not roll backwards, even on a sharp incline. Obviously, this is with the vehicle stopped, and still in second gear. Moving the lever from D4 to D3, 2, or 1 makes no difference. In reverse it will roll forward if on an incline, as expected. I'm wondering about that sprag now.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

If you are confident the valves are install correctly then. Are the three 8 mm bolts in the correct position in the valve body? 110 psi is a little high at an idle also.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tptransmission
If you are confident the valves are install correctly then. Are the three 8 mm bolts in the correct position in the valve body? 110 psi is a little high at an idle also.
Yep, I was very careful to get the right VB bolts in the right spots. Didn't want to stab one through into the shell! The line pressure is about 10% high across the board according to the service manual. Since it was consistent before and after the rebuild, I didn't really think it was a concern. I thought maybe someone had installed a larger boost valve to bump the pressure.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Clutch pack and band clearances can be a problem if they are too tight . Like Frank said , if the 1-2 valve train is not correct it can give you a wrong gear start . Spring goes in first then the valve !!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 PM

Hi Dave_62,

I know this post is really old but I am having the same problem and wondering if you came across the fix...

Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Zombie thread revival!

I did find the cause of this. Turns out I had the 3-4 shift valve and spring installed in the valve body backwards. This caused a leak in the Signal A circuit that prevented the 1-2 valve from compressing it's spring, which in turn passed D4 fluid into the 2nd clutch circuit, applying the band. I corrected the 3-4 valve and spring, and all was good.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:58 AM

Default GMC safari 2005 transmission rebuilt, not starts in 2nd gear with no codes

I just rebuilt my transmission and it starts in 2nd gear and eventually switches into 3rd after reving high. Not picking up any codes or check engine light.

Maybe the same problem, will go drop the valve body.

Originally Posted by Dave_62
Zombie thread revival!

I did find the cause of this. Turns out I had the 3-4 shift valve and spring installed in the valve body backwards. This caused a leak in the Signal A circuit that prevented the 1-2 valve from compressing it's spring, which in turn passed D4 fluid into the 2nd clutch circuit, applying the band. I corrected the 3-4 valve and spring, and all was good.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts

This is an old post, you'll get more help if you start a new post of your own and reference this one

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 4L60E- second gear start