Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust y-pipe question

Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust y-pipe question

im about to send the car to the shop to have the exhaust put on. i want to run a dual 3" to a y-pipe, to a single 3.5". i want to have the exhaust be semi quiet and have no cats. i found 2 mufflers that have dual inlets and a single out let in the same size im looking to run my exhaust. so pretty much it would have a y muffler and have another muffler at the rear of the car. should i do a true y pipe or would this "y muffler" work ok?

really, looking at the design, i dont think it would affect flow, but help control excess noise....there is a pic here

3" Dual Inlet / 3.5" Center Outlet, 635, Exhaust Systems

i found that one which is 185 shipped and this magnaflow which is 165 shipped.

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

i figured i could use one of those and then have a muffler at the rear of the car. ive read that some people run 2 mufflers anyway to help reduce noise. so i figured a muffler that also "y's" would be killing 2 birds with one stone.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Launching!

no one?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

2 standard mufflers would be over kill and trying to fit that muffler under where the Y goes with clearance would look close to impossible. My car is no cats with the stock CME catback I would consider it close to quiet. I live where the demographic is 65-70 plus with no complaints. lol

Eric
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

exactly...space is tight for such a big muffer.

i would say run a regular ypipe...with a 3.5" merge...into a 3.5" bullet (nice and compact) then back over the axle and into a good muffler back there.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

^ agree
Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

i dont own a camaro or a firebird. i have a 93 rx7. i guess i have a little more room then you guys do. space is not a problem for me. just wondering if the "Y" muffler would be a good idea or not. trying to keep the exhaust tone quiet, while trying to be not too restrictive. so i was thinking i could kill 2 birds with one stone by having a dual inlet single outlet muffler. also i didnt know how bad if any it would mess up the exhaust flow.

Last edited by awd-rwd racer; 01-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by teke184
i would say run a regular ypipe...with a 3.5" merge...into a 3.5" bullet (nice and compact) then back over the axle and into a good muffler back there.

My idea of a perfect setup: LTs to ORY to bullet in the I-pipe, to a quiet catback. It'll still have a nice growl when your hard on the gas, but nice and quiet otherwise, a good sleeper. Oh yeah, then dual-cutouts in the Y for some fun

Search this Thread