Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 water pump weep hole?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 water pump weep hole?

alright, last night i noticed a small drip in the ta. It dripped for a little bit and stopped and i couldnt seem to get it to do it again(i'm going to try again when i get home from work today). while changing the oil i added 5qts than started the car for 30secs and shut it off, i looked under the front of the car and everything was fine for a couple of seconds than drip drip drip. looking around under the car i see the bottom of the thermostat damp and parts of the water pump but i couldnt see anything flowing or a deffinate drip just. it stopped dripping after a few minutes and didnt do it again even after i started the car and let it warm all the way up to operating temp and shut it off.
Reading on here i heard about a water pump weep hole, now i'm hearing 2 things. 1. the ls1 pump leaks from a bearing/seal instead of a hole. and 2. ls1 pumps have weep holes lol which is it? and does any one have a pic of this weep hole so i no where im looking when i get home? I searched and found nothing but lt1-lt4 water pump weep hole pics and problems. I was so frustrated, especially finding this after spending $81 on some german castrol, mobil 1 filter, and a damn fog light bulb.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

if its the weep hole you would know, bc eventually it warms up and then goes out completely and you got a puddle under your car. Mine didnt overheat or anything it just slowly leaked then i drove it and looked under and looked like a ******* waterfall coming from my engine.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

So it's more likely to be a gasket what else on the water pump would leak?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The weep hole is there for a reason, it is telling you you need a new water pump. I have new ones on the shelf. They are $180.99.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea but I'm looking for the weep hole if it is the pump leaking than I plan on replacing it but I'm just trying to find where the leak is. Last night I didn't even see a hole but I always get pissed off when stupid **** breaks specially when I planned on driving it tonight with some friends I just hope autozones gonna have my pump for me if I needed it
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Mine did the same thing it would drip when the car was off but as soon as you started the car it would stop. after I took it off to do a cam swap it has never done it agian. I figured it was the gaskets. You would assume it would get worse with it running???

Eric
Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep mine I believe was leaking out of the weep hole. It was fine when I took it off but lil over a year later from setting up it leaked when I started the car . Oh well I bought another low mileage one off the board.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is easier to see on the truck pumps, i don't think you can see it on the f-body's. It is way out at the end of the snout behind the pulley.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Yea thats where mine was coming from.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea it was the weep hole. i found out it's behind the pulley which is gay, thanks guys. brand new duralast lifetime waranty water pump and thermostat.

Quick Reply: ls1 water pump weep hole?