Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Propane

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propane

Let me start with Hi, im Tim. New here and pretty new to LSX motors in general. The particular LS6 block, with a 427 stroker kit(i should say intend to put in), I am building is going into an offroad tube buggy and will constantly see hi rpms.

Now, I know this is one of the weirdest questions yall will probably ever answer for me. But, I want to run my LS motor on propane. Now im sure yall are shakin heads already but hear me out. In an offroad situation propane will run at practically any angle, even upside down. Plus, it has a simplicity to wiring it up that makes my heart sing, mainly because wiring and harnesses and whatnot give me nightmares. But in this proposal there seems to be a problem with controlling spark, since there will be no ecm( or no plans for one right now) i was pondering from some of you more experienced LS guys would this do the job,

http://www.atomicperformance.com/msd...s6engines.aspx

Is it really as simple as hooking the coil packs up to the box or more complicated and hassle than its worth. It says something about some other sensors but im sure there is a way around that right?

The main point of this question, and i shouldve just done this from the start but how simple, or complicated, will it be to run my LS6 on propane.

Last edited by dragracer238; 01-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

anybody?? lets for a half second assume that im just running gas with a carb manifold? how about that?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If your just looking for a box to control timing/spark in a non-EFI application the MSD spark box you linked above will do it. It still requires some EFI sensors (the coils, crank sensor, MAP sensor and the cam sensor) to operate correctly and all but the MAP would be the same as an EFI application. I don't know what propane does to engine load.

The other big question is how the mechanical aspect of the engine would change, if at all. Some research into propane conversions would answer most questions.

Good luck on your endeavor, it sounds interesting.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Teching In

http://www.jegs.com/p/GM+Performance/760437/10002/-1

what about using this instead? if I understand what GM is saying, is that this completely eliminates all sensors and ecm. i just have to use a ford distributor