Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tuning School?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tuning School?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes anyways.

Has anybody attended a seminar by "The Tuning School" http://thetuningschool.com/why.html? If so could you give me some input on what the class is like? What was nice about it and what was not? Was it worth the money?

I would really like to learn to tune proficiently and properly and thought this may be a good foundation to start with. I've read a couple tuning books and have played around with my HP tuners a bit. However this 2 day seminar is not cheap and I really do not want to throw my money away. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Nobody's been to it?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

dude seriously..you cant go to class to learn somethin like that..tuning is basically a "touch" i guess you can say..an ability others aint got..sure you can blow an *** load of money and go to it..but i wouldnt..practice i guess you can say is what you gotta do ya know?

like i went to NADC for collision repair..im spendin 35k to go here to learn how to sand body filler pretty much..and i wish i never would have came up here
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by custm72chevy
dude seriously..you cant go to class to learn somethin like that..tuning is basically a "touch" i guess you can say..an ability others aint got..sure you can blow an *** load of money and go to it..but i wouldnt..practice i guess you can say is what you gotta do ya know?

like i went to NADC for collision repair..im spendin 35k to go here to learn how to sand body filler pretty much..and i wish i never would have came up here
I wouldn't say that it was a "touch". The more you do the better you will know your way around the software and be able to troubleshoot a lot better, but for the basic tuning needs it's really not that hard to do without going to the school. that said the school would help get you started a lot quicker and more on the right path.

I just don't know that it's worth what it costs. I'd say if you can figure stuff out on your own pretty well then you don't really need it, there's plenty of help and info at the HPTuners website. However, if you can only learn by watching others then the school might be exactly what you need or at least the learn at home stuff.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you get the PRO version or the standard HPTuners?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by custm72chevy

What an ignorant statement. "No one ever learned anything by going to a class, durr" Rofl.

To the op:
Everything I have heard is positive, and you get to use the knowledge you gain immediately by dyno tuning a person. Greg Banish, the person who wrote the tuning books and who run this school (If it's the same one I'm thinking about) occasionally posts on this forum. I forget his screen name so you could shoot him a message. Does anyone know?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I've seen they teach that you can just alter IFR and PE tables to get your desired A/F ratio. Hack.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
From what I've seen they teach that you can just alter IFR and PE tables to get your desired A/F ratio. Hack.
I doubt that's what they teach. If that were the case I doubt they would promoting the school on the HPTuners website. Or at least not without a lot of harassment.

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Everything I have heard is positive, and you get to use the knowledge you gain immediately by dyno tuning a person. Greg Banish, the person who wrote the tuning books and who run this school (If it's the same one I'm thinking about) occasionally posts on this forum. I forget his screen name so you could shoot him a message. Does anyone know?
This isn't the Greg Banish (turbolx) class, though he does offer one. These are the guys from PM-FL(?).
Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I doubt that's what they teach. If that were the case I doubt they would promoting the school on the HPTuners website. Or at least not without a lot of harassment.

This isn't the Greg Banish (turbolx) class, though he does offer one. These are the guys from PM-FL(?).
There are plenty of sponsors on this very board that tune that way, and they are still around. It's all about the $$$.

That certainly isn't Greg's class.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

There are plenty of sponsors on this very board that tune that way, and they are still around. It's all about the $$$.

That certainly isn't Greg's class.
They tune that way, not teach that way.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They tune that way, not teach that way.
Have you read their book or attended one of their classes? Or personally know anyone that has done either?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Have you read their book or attended one of their classes? Or personally know anyone that has done either?
No I haven't and I doubt that you have any personal experience either. I looked into buying the learn at home and never saw any negative reviews of the class. Which I'm sure that there would be if they just taught IFR and PE.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

If they were just teaching you IFR and PE they would give you a usb flash drive with an excel spreadsheet and teach you how to use the calculator in HP tuners. It's more complicated than that. You're looking at it the wrong way. If tuning was a simple process there wouldn't be a market for workshops, books, or pcm mail-in programs. There is a reason tuners say they are still learning years after mastering the basics. So no one should rag on a school offering to de-mystify the process.

OP:
I looked into this a long time ago and would have went for it, but I live out in the middle of nowhere and their learn at home was a bit too expensive for my taste. If you have the money and truly want to learn than I see no better alternative. Spend the money now, then charge people at home and make your money back doing something you love.

There is also a book you could pick up that also has good reviews and was compiled not too long ago.

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Did you get the PRO version or the standard HPTuners?
Yes, I have the PRO

Originally Posted by
OP:
I looked into this a long time ago and would have went for it, but I live out in the middle of nowhere and their learn at home was a bit too expensive for my taste. If you have the money and truly want to learn than I see no better alternative. Spend the money now, then charge people at home and make your money back doing something you love.

There is also a book you could pick up that also has good reviews and was compiled not too long ago.

[url
http://www.masportspeedshop.com/servlet/the-150/master-efi-tuner-tuning/Detail[/url]
Yea, I live in the middle of nowhere as well. I don't have money to **** away, but I am willing to invest in myself. Did you go to the class or do the at home version?

Thanks for the input guys, still looking for someone who has attended this school.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 346ci
Yes, I have the PRO
Good. The PRO version and a good wideband make it almost too easy to tune.

Originally Posted by 346ci
Yea, I live in the middle of nowhere as well. I don't have money to **** away, but I am willing to invest in myself. Did you go to the class or do the at home version?

Thanks for the input guys, still looking for someone who has attended this school.
There are a few over at the HPTuners forum that have done the class. You might could register there and PM them.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make a post on HP Tuners asking about their experiences, I'm interested in seeing it.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Alot of the guy's on LS@GTO have gone and have had good feedback. I have the book they use that a buddy let me borrow. IMO it'll help you start up in tuning and the website is a big help. The forum has alot of knowledge in it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

There are a few over at the HPTuners forum that have done the class. You might could register there and PM them.
Make a post on HP Tuners asking about their experiences, I'm interested in seeing it.
I'm a member there, I'll make a post there as well

Originally Posted by LS2tiger
Alot of the guy's on LS@GTO have gone and have had good feedback. I have the book they use that a buddy let me borrow. IMO it'll help you start up in tuning and the website is a big help. The forum has alot of knowledge in it.
Thanks for the input, glad to hear some positive feedback
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Greg Banish, the person who wrote the tuning books and who run this school (If it's the same one I'm thinking about) occasionally posts on this forum. I forget his screen name so you could shoot him a message. Does anyone know?
I am not affiliated with the guys from FL. I know there's a lot of confusion out there lately in the tuning/training game. I host classes literally coast to coast (including classes at/for some major software companies), but I'm an independent entity. My first book is on amazon and there will be a second out this fall.

My classes focus on practical application of the real sciences at work inside an engine and ECU. The methods I teach are the same as those used by OEM calibrators like me. I honestly can't comment on what others are doing today.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Are you sure that place tunes with IFR? If so, they would've been chased off of HPT's website long ago.