Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

???HU, amp, sail panel sub ques.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ???HU, amp, sail panel sub ques.....

well im basically building a 'sleeper' light-weight street-stip car. i have a pioneer premier HU, pioneer fronts and the rest is the stock monsoon system

my ques is: can i remove the amp and wire the speakers directly to the HU and still have as good bass without the amp by adjusting the setting on the HU???
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it that way, but as far as getting a "good" sound from your sails....I highly doubt it. A head-unit just doesn't put out that much power. Besides, your factory amp only weighs like 3 pounds, if you're worried about 3 pounds, just take a dump before you race. Problem solved.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greenbird97
You can do it that way, but as far as getting a "good" sound from your sails....I highly doubt it. A head-unit just doesn't put out that much power. Besides, your factory amp only weighs like 3 pounds, if you're worried about 3 pounds, just take a dump before you race. Problem solved.
LMAO. So true though. Your car wont even feel that factory system.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

thanx guys. im thinking about removing the amp and sail panel subs altogether. ya true, 3lbs isnt gonna make a dif but everything adds up in drag racing
Old 01-24-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nemss1
thanx guys. im thinking about removing the amp and sail panel subs altogether. ya true, 3lbs isnt gonna make a dif but everything adds up in drag racing
Yes, every bit adds up but some of those bits arn't worth removing. It comes down to...do you like listening to high quality music or do you just want sound to come out of the speakers. If you just want sound, then yes, remove the amp, wiring, sail panel, and hatch speakers. Hell, if you want, remove the front speakers also and then just put a 2" speaker in one of the air vents.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

i decided to keep the amp and sail panel subs. i was wondering if i could run the front and hatch speakers and keep the amp to just power the sail panel subs???
Old 01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can bypass the amp easilly sounds like crap though

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462937

i would like to see where the factory sub or subs are located. ive never seen them honestly
Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Driftunit
you can bypass the amp easilly sounds like crap though

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462937

i would like to see where the factory sub or subs are located. ive never seen them honestly
well i decided to keep the amp and sail panel subs. im thinking of wiring the fronts and rear hatch speakers directly to the HU. the amp just powering the sail panel subs. can i do that???

the sail panel subs are right nxt the the rear seats
Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nemss1
im thinking of wiring the fronts and rear hatch speakers directly to the HU. the amp just powering the sail panel subs. can i do that???

the sail panel subs are right nxt the the rear seats
oh thanks is there 1 in each side or just 1 all together? bypassing all but the sub is doable, and in that link it pretty much tells you how to bypass all that stuff, id just do that and leave out the sub

also if you have an aftermarket HU it works better, the factory unit doesnt kick out enough juice to power the speakers properly on its own.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

no, you can't wire the front and rear speakers to the HU. The front speakers are component speakers which means there is separate wiring for the woofer and the tweeter. The stock amp not only provides the power for these speakers but contains the crossover so that the tweeters get highs and the woofer gets lows. Just ditch the hatch speakers, there is no point to them and sound quality will actually improve without them. Front components and midbass drivers in the sail panels are good enough. What is your overall goal, if you are keeping you amp then why would you want to wire some speakers to the amp and some to the HU, you are definitely complicating the situation, don't make any unnecessary work for yourself.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

drift unit, there is one on each side

i guess im just gonna do away with the sail panel subs and amp

today i wired the front and hatch speakers directly to the HU. turned the stereo on and the fronts and hatch speakers worked but the sail panel subs didnt

why is this???

amp get signal input from front speaker wires maybe???
Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

yes, the amp gets speaker level inputs from the headunit.
But im still trying to understand why you are doing what you are doing. If you were thinking about keeping the stock amp, why spend the time to rewire stuff if you aren't saving any weight and are reducing sound quality. I swear the stock amp is not even 3lbs, that think feels like a hollow plastic shell.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
yes, the amp gets speaker level inputs from the headunit.
But im still trying to understand why you are doing what you are doing. If you were thinking about keeping the stock amp, why spend the time to rewire stuff if you aren't saving any weight and are reducing sound quality. I swear the stock amp is not even 3lbs, that think feels like a hollow plastic shell.
well i was thinking of removing the amp and sail panel subs altogether

what wires does the amp get the speaker level input to power the sail panel subs so i can fix the problem???
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html

the pinout to the factory amp is there.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html

the pinout to the factory amp is there.
oh ya, should have known. i used the pinout when i rewired the speakers
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

ok speaking of speaker level inputs, does the amp get signal from the fronts and hatch speakers?

or just the fronts?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Resident

stock and aftermarket HU's output audio in the form of 2 front and 2 rear channels (8 wires, 4 positive and 4 negative wires) Those 8 wires are feed into the stock amp and act as the input signals. The amplifier amplifies those signals and also splits up the frequencies and sends them to the respective speakers. The speaker level inputs come from the HU, not the speakers. A speaker/high level input is an input that has already been amplified by the HU where as a low level input or preamp is a signal that has yet to be amplified.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

thanx man, i fully understand now