General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Motor..Thermal Bypass Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor..Thermal Bypass Mod

Ok..

About 2 months ago, I replaced the drivers side window motor in my gfs 2000 Camaro. It worked great for about 3 weeks and then died. I put off replacing it for a few weeks..We bought both driver/pass side motors at the same time and I hadn't installed the pass. side yet since it was still working. So I used the motor that was supposed to be for the pass side and replaced the drivers side again about 3 days ago..Works great..Then we come to today a few days later we go to visit my mom in the hospital..get there and the window won't roll up! I couldn't believe it.

So we get home..I pull everything apart AGAIN. I still have the original motor that was in the car, it was replaced because it was just really slow but hadn't completely stopped working yet.

So I take the top plastic part that has the brushes/springs/thermal crap in it out of the old one and put it on the new one that just died and plug it back in without installing it. Surer than ****, the motor works.

So..The actual motor itself is not dead. I decide to try the thermal bypass mod which I had remembered reading about a long *** time ago..However I noticed something odd.

The black one is from the original window motor, as you can see it has solder on the left side. The white one is from the new replacement motor which is not soldered. If you don't know what the thermal bypass mod is, then you might not realize why I thought this was strange.

Sorry about the crappy camera phone picture.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

I guess the thermal strip is soldered in?
Heres a pic of mine bypassed.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many people replace their window motors when that is not what they really need. The thermal protection is there for a reason, if it is kicking in and slowing down/stopping the motor, it might be because there is too much resistance to the window going up. I would try lubricating all the moving parts as best as possible (I realize access is difficult). Also, the thermal resistor can be replaced if it has failed, and I would guess it probably does fail if the motor has been has been struggling for a long time. Here's a write-up on that:

http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula413
Too many people replace their window motors when that is not what they really need. The thermal protection is there for a reason, if it is kicking in and slowing down/stopping the motor, it might be because there is too much resistance to the window going up. I would try lubricating all the moving parts as best as possible (I realize access is difficult). Also, the thermal resistor can be replaced if it has failed, and I would guess it probably does fail if the motor has been has been struggling for a long time. Here's a write-up on that:

http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm
Broken link.

IMO The window motors build up resistance when the commutator gets packed full of garbage.
I cleaned my motor up, bypassed the thermal strip, didn't touch the window mechanism. Been working fine since.
See how the commutator looks like it's one piece?

IMO most people could just clean the garbage out of the commutator and fix the problem.
See how deep the grooves are supposed to be.

And to people who think the thermal strip is a safty device to keep you from getting your head or other things stuck in the window (I seen a huge arguement on thi somewhere)
May be true....but f bodies use a frameless window, so if you get your head stuck in it---open the door!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

What that link showed was how to remove the thermal resistor and replace it with one from Radio Shack. Cleaning the inside of the motor is a good idea too.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

The key source of the problem is improper voltage to the motors. Do a search on the AutoTrix Window Fix kit.

The factory wiring gauge is too small and too long. When operated together both motors are VERY under powered. The kit can be found at the ws6store. Thousands of kits installed with 100% happy customers.

I personally have 2 cars with 200k and factory motors working great thanks to the kit.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnomee
The key source of the problem is improper voltage to the motors. Do a search on the AutoTrix Window Fix kit.

The factory wiring gauge is too small and too long. When operated together both motors are VERY under powered. The kit can be found at the ws6store. Thousands of kits installed with 100% happy customers.

I personally have 2 cars with 200k and factory motors working great thanks to the kit.
Will said Kit work even if the motors are already slow and stopping before fully rolled up? Or does it need to be installed before they start "going out"?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taco
Will said Kit work even if the motors are already slow and stopping before fully rolled up? Or does it need to be installed before they start "going out"?
It can wake-up an old motor. Its not 100% going to fix an old motor but I would say 85% of the time it will. You can do a search on YouTube for autotrix and see some customer videos also see videos and customer comments at www.autotrix.net
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

add more voltage to a dirty motor and of course it's going to work better.
If anyone had a brain they'd make 9 or 10 volt motors for this application.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh yeah I need to get one of those autotrix kits for my passenger window while it still works. Is there one for the driver side too now? Last I knew there wasn't.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Oh yeah I need to get one of those autotrix kits for my passenger window while it still works. Is there one for the driver side too now? Last I knew there wasn't.
Yes there is a kit for the driver side now which replaces the factory express down module with one that uses a zero loss voltage detection.

The main problem with the circuit is both windows sharing it. Once the passenger side is isolated there is a very small voltage drop for the driver side. Depending on the temperatures and the battery some people have no problem with the driver side after the passenger kit.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Well..I unsoldered thermal circuit on the original motor, did the thermal bypass and the damn motor works now. For how long, who knows.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ihatecars
Well..I unsoldered thermal circuit on the original motor, did the thermal bypass and the damn motor works now. For how long, who knows.
The motor will most likely have no issues. As to what can be caused by removing that thermal switch is un-known.

That switch detects when the motor reaches end of travel and keeps the voltage spike from surging thru the circuit.

The average person will stop holding the switch when its obvious the window is down/up, however if you were to ever hold the switch down for any length of time after this the motor is going to effectivly create a direct short to ground and could cause melting issues,blown fuses or worst case a fire. The wires are designed for a certian amperage and once that is reached the resistance will create heat and that will melt things and blow fuses.

This is a worst case scenario thing but removing that switch is WAY more of a bandaid than isolating the window on its own circuit and powering it properly.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, you will most likely be fine. For the average person the best route is to run proper wiring to the motor instead of taking it out and modifying it.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

Not true at all.
After I removed my thermal switch I plugged the motor in.
Hit the express down button and it never stops, I squeezed the gear with my hand, heard a click under the dash and it stopped right away.
I tested motor amp draw with it installed and it spikes up a split second when the window reaches the end of it's travel. Again, thermal switch bypassed.
THERMAL, thats heat. Thermal switches do not control voltage spikes.

I think your theories are wrong.
Sales tactics IMO.

The motor will most likely have no issues. As to what can be caused by removing that thermal switch is un-known.

That switch detects when the motor reaches end of travel and keeps the voltage spike from surging thru the circuit.

The average person will stop holding the switch when its obvious the window is down/up, however if you were to ever hold the switch down for any length of time after this the motor is going to effectivly create a direct short to ground and could cause melting issues,blown fuses or worst case a fire. The wires are designed for a certian amperage and once that is reached the resistance will create heat and that will melt things and blow fuses.

This is a worst case scenario thing but removing that switch is WAY more of a bandaid than isolating the window on its own circuit and powering it properly.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, you will most likely be fine. For the average person the best route is to run proper wiring to the motor instead of taking it out and modifying it.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Not true at all.
After I removed my thermal switch I plugged the motor in.
Hit the express down button and it never stops, I squeezed the gear with my hand, heard a click under the dash and it stopped right away.
I tested motor amp draw with it installed and it spikes up a split second when the window reaches the end of it's travel. Again, thermal switch bypassed.
THERMAL, thats heat. Thermal switches do not control voltage spikes.

I think your theories are wrong.
Sales tactics IMO.
Whoa! Don't get crazy on me hear. You really need to take a look at the schematic for the circuit before you start accusing me of sales tactics.

What you explained above makes perfect sense when you are talking about the driverside. The driverside has an express down module hence why you said the express down switch. The module basically uses a Zener diode to set the voltage at 10-11volts then it monitors the spike with the PIC on the circuit board and opens the circuit to shut the motor off. The click under the dash was the module relay.

When using the express down the motor will lose power do to that module. When rolling the driver side up or the passenger side either way will result in exactly what I described above if the thermal switch is removed.

Do some research, you will see I'm not full of crap. Also the thermal switch is actually a proxy switch wich is made of up certain metals that will break/open the connection once a certain temperature has been acheived. That temperature is achieved by the increased resistance from the motor being stopped which also causes a voltage spike. Removing it does nothing but remove factory safe guards.

The problem is the increased carbon build up on the brushes, this is something that happens with all electric motors. However, the brushes in each motor are designed for a certain voltage and amperage. If the voltage to the motor is below or above the design threshold the motors will exhibit increased dusting and therefore make the motor "use" more electricity to operate which makes the proxy switch heat up quicker which makes the motor stop early.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with gnomee on this, except for one minor correction. It is a current spike, not voltage spike

I wish I still had my factory motor from the driver side, the cheapo motor I have in there now has plastic internal gears that strip out Came in a pair, first one lasted a year then stripped so now I'm on the second motor. To think I could have fixed my original more than likely and saved the $40
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'm with gnomee on this, except for one minor correction. It is a current spike, not voltage spike

I wish I still had my factory motor from the driver side, the cheapo motor I have in there now has plastic internal gears that strip out Came in a pair, first one lasted a year then stripped so now I'm on the second motor. To think I could have fixed my original more than likely and saved the $40
LOL... This stuff already confuses so many people. Voltage makes way more sense than current to most

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

Well see now you get very technical, I like this better.
I'm just the kind of person who likes to hear the "whys" and not the "just becauses" (if you understand what I mean)
Things make way more sense now that you explained it this way, thanks.

Whoa! Don't get crazy on me hear. You really need to take a look at the schematic for the circuit before you start accusing me of sales tactics.

What you explained above makes perfect sense when you are talking about the driverside. The driverside has an express down module hence why you said the express down switch. The module basically uses a Zener diode to set the voltage at 10-11volts then it monitors the spike with the PIC on the circuit board and opens the circuit to shut the motor off. The click under the dash was the module relay.

When using the express down the motor will lose power do to that module. When rolling the driver side up or the passenger side either way will result in exactly what I described above if the thermal switch is removed.

Do some research, you will see I'm not full of crap. Also the thermal switch is actually a proxy switch wich is made of up certain metals that will break/open the connection once a certain temperature has been acheived. That temperature is achieved by the increased resistance from the motor being stopped which also causes a voltage spike. Removing it does nothing but remove factory safe guards.

The problem is the increased carbon build up on the brushes, this is something that happens with all electric motors. However, the brushes in each motor are designed for a certain voltage and amperage. If the voltage to the motor is below or above the design threshold the motors will exhibit increased dusting and therefore make the motor "use" more electricity to operate which makes the proxy switch heat up quicker which makes the motor stop early.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Well see now you get very technical, I like this better.
I'm just the kind of person who likes to hear the "whys" and not the "just becauses" (if you understand what I mean)
Things make way more sense now that you explained it this way, thanks.
NO Problem! Glad we got it cleared up.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

it's nice to know that they make one for the driver's side now too...i'll have to look into that. i replaced my driver's side window a few months after i got the car and i wasnt the first (the whole were already drilled into the fiberglass where the factory motor's connections where punched out). but the duralast motor from AZ seems to be working very well.

Quick Reply: Window Motor..Thermal Bypass Mod