Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift ****

OK so I have been on the phone with the people at Delrin. I am trying to come up with a custom **** for my new car. My question is will the VHT nightshade adhere to aluminum? I want to tint the aluminum **** before it is etched but like I said, I only want to tint it. I want to give it that almost anodized look but not really. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it does, it will most likely wear down from use. I'd probably powder-coat it.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I plan on clearing it with like 4-5 coats
Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We used to have stores around here called Hobby Town the sold like RC car and model airplane junk. Had awesome transparent paints to do just what your talking about. Had about 20 or 30 different colors I think Testors the people that made model paint might be the ones that made them. Maybe try that it is all in a base coat clear setup so may have better luck with the long term effect to.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

ok now I really need help. I am trying to come up with an engraving for the **** and I can't do it. I was intially thinking of doing a round ball in brushed aluminum with the tint paint. Then through the tint paint i wanted to etch something nice that would encorporate the fact the the car now has a vette engine. Bte this is going into a WS6. The engine is a LS6. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been playing with photoshop all night and can't get it. I was even thinking of doing the C6R logo with the firebird as the eyes but idk. It can't be too complex because it has to be etched. Anyone?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

'vette engine', ..., , 'C6R', ...

Sorry dude, that's just wrong. You must be a WS6/LSx-based newbie, huh?!?

Good for you to try to make your own thing, but, ...

Why wouldn't you just have it anodized in a color similar to the 'VHT-Niteshades' color that you want to achieve. Most anodizing shops can do multiple colors. Who is going to do this 3d engraving on a round ball for you? Yourself?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Teching In

The last post was not helpful at all. Yes, the car now has an LS6 Z06 motor in it. I am not an idiot. I now what I have. I have already spoken to the shift **** company and they said I just need to send them a drawing. Anyone good with photoshop? I was only looking into the C6R logo cause I like it and I thought I could make it work. When I see that logo I think vette right away but the firebird did not work as the eyes.
Matt
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Just for clarification...

Delrin is not aluminum. It is its own material, kinda like a hard rubber/plastic often used in bushings.

What year is your WS6? if its a 2001-2002, you already had the LS6 intake and chances are you already had an LS6 block too. The LS6 intake was stock on the 2001-2002 f-body and many also had the block. That just leaves, cam, heads, and programming (and exhaust if you want too). If you bought a LS6 engine to replace the stock LS1 in a 2001-2002, you could have just added a cam and heads to the stock motor instead.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Teching In

It is a 1998 WS6 and thats not my question. Like I said I know what I have. Does anyone have any helpful ideas? Don't post unless it answers my original question. Yes I know delrin is a material but the company in Connecticut (I dont know their name) has been in contact with me and they are one of the ones that make the delrin *****. I just need an etch idea
Matt
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can powder coat with candy colors that almost have the anodized look
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe you KNOW what you have.
But do you REALLY know what Delrin is?

I doubt that you can anodize or powder-coat Delrin.

YOUR original question was "My question is will the VHT nightshade adhere to aluminum?"

Most likely it will not 'stick' or adhere to aluminum.
Delrin & aluminum are two completely different products, not even closely related.
So don't try to confuse us with your knowledge.

Now, what's the next question?

Seriously, the "I have a Corvette engine in my car.", will only work with naive little ricer boys, ...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Do you know Nighthawk355x? I just bought his car the other day.http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36501
At this point I can see that none of you are creative so I am going to take my question somewhere else. You guys should think before you post, questioning my authority. I don't bitch you guys out for your cars because I HAD respect for you. I figured you would have respect for me too. I talked to
hooked_4_good another member of this site. He makes both Delrin(a trademark of a Dupont material) and aluminum shift *****. I was going to order an aluminum **** with the brushed finish.
My first question was... Will VHT Nightshades adhere to the aluminum?
My next question was... Does anyone have any good ideas for an etching on top of the **** that incorporates corvette and ws6 logos?

Stop questioning me. I am an Automotive Engineering Major, not an idiot. I am not new to the automotive market. This is my 5th car. The other 4 being a 1987 Iroc-z in which I swapped engines and built form the ground up, a 1981 corvette with a 383, a 1995 Lightning Supercharged, and a 1971 Chevelle Big Block. I should not have to go throught all of this just to get an answer to my question. Stop looking at how many posts people have and making assumptions.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get some pics of your rides in an album, im a sucker for chevelles
If you do get all this to work, make sure you post some pics
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

See, now if you had only been more specific in the beginning rather than questioning our replies.

Take the **** to some local CNC shop & see if they can engrave 3d to fit.
Fat chance you'll get someone in here to offer their expertise to do the layout for you. This is not the Photoshop forum.

The questions arise because of the confusion you set in, in the beginning & the replies.

Now, as mentioned, Aluminum, ..., VHT will most likely not 'stick'. 'Anodize' would be a better choice.
And again, Find a CNC shop or ask hooked_4_good to do it.

Can you help buy sharing the photos or logos you want to use?!?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

I will try to contact a powdercoater.
Here are some pictures of the cars I have had

And just one of the many engines that I have built...

I do not have any pictures of the Vette.(Long Story)
I will try to find a camera to take pictures of the logos I have drawn but I am at school so it might take a little while.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

This is what I have so far. I think I am going to move the bird down so the wings match up with the vette flags. What do you guys think? You would have to picture it etched in black and brushed aluminum. I think it will be a very tasteful **** that incorporates all aspects of the car subtly.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you needa powder coater, i'm right here
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Move the bird down on that and I think you're set man.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if it'll look good but how about making the bird a bit larger and having the flags as its wings some how??? It's just a thought

Quick Reply: Shift knob