Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california emissions question*

Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default california emissions question*

So I live in Arkansas, but I'm going to California for a month. I'm worried I'll get pulled over for my exhaust. I'm wondering if I just say I'm visiting and that I don't live there if I'll be alright? I posted a thread like this one in the southern section and a guy responded with basically I'm fucked haha. Anyone have any input at all? Or should I just not take the car... or get cats and run it out the back...?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want honest answers regarding California, ask someone that lives there (here). You should have posted in the Western Section, not the Southern Section. If you are just visiting, the cops will see your are from out of state and will leave you alone. Many in Ca. have your similar exhaust setup and the cops do not stop them (or rarely, mostly due to being stupid). If you relocated to Ca., then you would need cats to pass smog in order to register your car in Ca., or know people.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on where you live, busy city, or smaller rural town. My brother lives in a smaller rural town and gutted his cats. He got pulled over once right by his house and the cop asked him, "Your car is really loud, did you remove the cats?" My brother says " Look, I bought this car like this, I don't know whats done to it." The cop gave him a warning and told him to take it to a shop to get it checked out, of coarse my bro hasn't and never will, its been 3 months since and no cops have bothered him since.
Just use common sense, try to stay quiet around town, don't rev it up and floor it around more populated areas
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

If you're visiting, you're fine. People run around CA with no cats more than "outsiders" would imagine. And Cops usually chase loud annoying imports, not V8s Just Dont gun it next to a cop.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12secSS
If you want honest answers regarding California, ask someone that lives there (here). You should have posted in the Western Section, not the Southern Section. If you are just visiting, the cops will see your are from out of state and will leave you alone. Many in Ca. have your similar exhaust setup and the cops do not stop them (or rarely, mostly due to being stupid). If you relocated to Ca., then you would need cats to pass smog in order to register your car in Ca., or know people.
very nice. posting it there now
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

They have to use your home state laws.But if you go around getting on it they can nail you on any and all traffic laws they have.As long as you have Ark tags and licence your car will be legal.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I live here in cali and i run straight pipe on my T/A from time to time and no cops for exhaust just speeding haha so you should be fine and yes they love the rice rockets

Search this Thread