Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Sound

My 96 Trans Am Started Making A Loud Knocking Sound From The Rear When I Pushed Started It Because My Starter Had Gone Out. At First I Thought It Might Be A U-Joint, But Whenever I Replaced The U-joint the sound continued. Also, My Friend Looked Under It as i drove it and he told me that the differential moves up and down with the knocking sound. Can Anyone help me out here??? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Question

I have a few questions for you. Does it happen @ certin speeds? On curves? Is it constant? Does the noise get faster as u increase speed? Have done any thing that could of caused damage to your diff?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I have a question also, do you have any suspension mods?

I had a knocking sound when I bought the car, I was told the rear was going. I was told to jack the car up and rock the back tires back and forth. If it had any movement/play then it was the diff. Sure enough it did, the damn sound happened over any bumps and uneven pavement.

So it happened the Eaton unit was bad, so had new stuff put in with a set of gears. Well the sound came back as soon as I drove off.

Later on I found that the adjustable LCA's and PHB were the root of the problem. Lesson learned and I live with it now.