Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to drive?

I just swapped my LS6 intake and stock injectors for a FAST 92/92, 37# injectors, and a Z06 MAF... my question is, am I safe to drive it minimally until I get it tuned? My tuner is out of town til next Friday but I'm puttin a 9" in this week.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a lot more fuel injector...I don't think the O2's will be able to compensate for it, and the risk to the engine before closed loop could turn on and try to compensate for it would be pretty high as well. I wouldn't even try to start it until you at LEAST get a real basic tune with just re-scaled IFR tables and MAF tables...do you know anyone nearby that tunes their own cars and might be able to just do those basics for you? If you'd just done the intake and not the injectors...it'd be safe (not optimal, but at least safe to drive around at low throttle)...but the injectors and MAF are what'd make me very nervous for the life of the engine...spark depends on the MAF, and not being really really really rich depends on the injectors and MAF.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

He ^ is right.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

yeah I don't know anybody around here with tuning software. I didn't think it'd be ok to drive, I just don't want to be down for another week.. sucks.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to be the guy that told you you can't drive your car ...if it makes you feel any better...mine's been in a body shop for some repair work for a little over a week now...so I'm not driving mine either lol
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with Mike. I would not drive it. Those injectors are a lot bigger and the MAF makes it even more questionable to drive as you don't know what it will do.

It may suck to not have your toy, but it will suck even more when your rebuilding your engine cause the rings got washed out.

P.S. The O2 sensors don't do anything in open loop while the engine is warming up. During that time it's already running rich. With the bigger injectors it will be running very very rich.

Re'