LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?

So here's my latest Ebay purchase, from K&N for a C5 vette I'm assuming you could also use the stock piece off the vette I've chopped a portion of the rad support out, I did this awhile ago hoping to use a LS1 lid, looking at how it fit with my hood, which is a fiberglass Big block hood not stock, it didn't seem like the LS1 lid was going to work without completely chopping out the support and installing it about an inch lower or not using the factory LS1 lower piece which also holds the radiator etc in place, neither option I was liking very much, so here's where I'm at, the pics inside the engine compartment were taken with the hood completely closed and its looking like this will work, my only question at this point is what is the angle needed to make it all hook up and what filter will I put on the end, I have a cone type but it may be too wide, I am thinking of trying to find the K&N type from their LS1 cold air jobs which is oval shapped...
Yes my hack job on the LT1 lower plastic piece sucks, I'd like to get it in the correct position and then either figure out how to cut another closer or make some piece to cover up the giant gaps there and basically seal that lower area off from the engine bay so all air coming in the bottom is forced toward the filter and then through the rad for maximum cooling effect....
Anyone with any ideas here or anyone wanna call me out on this please go ahead...
Attached Thumbnails Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02149.jpg   Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02161.jpg   Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02156.jpg   Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02157.jpg   Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02159.jpg  

Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?-dsc02160.jpg  
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! Are you sitting in the engine compartment with the hood closed?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AChotrod
x2?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

PS... I'll have an extra rad cover for an LT1 when I do my lid swap. I'll ship it to you.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm looks interresting
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I though about this for a while, didnt know if the angles would jive. Wouldnt be hard to make one of those out of aluminum pipe. Just flatten it where it goes over the rad.

That piece of hose you have between the MAF and the throttlebody aint gonna work, gonna have to drop down in that area.

How are you gonna get a filter on it? You need to get out in front of the radiator into that space behind the bumper.

Have you turned it around backwards to see if it fits better?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

YES!!! I have the motor out and car jacked up so I just was in there cleanin and decided what better time to make this work.. I really wish I had a RAM AIR firebird but the reality is I'm not seeing anyone with a Z28 make that a reality, I think the suncoast ULTRA Z type hoods with their intake is the only thing possible and that's over $1K to do not including paint... So here I am, still not sure about this whole deal I may go back to my original plan of the LS1 lid...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE
That piece of hose you have between the MAF and the throttlebody aint gonna work, gonna have to drop down in that area.

^^ this is my big dilema with this until the motor is back in I don't know how that's gonna line up at all, I fear ur right..

How are you gonna get a filter on it? You need to get out in front of the radiator into that space behind the bumper.

I have a cone filter that fits the end just fine but I think it will be too large in diameter to fit inside there, might need an oval shaped filter or maybe an extention piece of 3.5" tube to get it lower

Have you turned it around backwards to see if it fits better?

^^^ No I didn't try that....
[/QUOTE]

HHHMMMMMMM.............
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

HA! I was thinking the same. Good place to smoke that crack he referred too
Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was about to swap from my pvc cai to a ls1 lid when I cam up on this guy's post. I was like wow, why didn't I think of that. I just bought a 3.5 inch j bend intercooler pipe from ebay and am waiting for it to ship. After I get the pipe fitted I am going to buy a k&n filter that would fit nicely. I figured I'd show ya because it is similar to the corvette intake.

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
Here's what's on my car. I personally would like to have an LS1 lid setup but IMO this works a lot better. The bumper supports, fog lights, and little misc crap was removed and air is directed straight to the filter. What really helps out is the removed A/C system so it has the extra space to stick the filter right in front of the radiator. Im going to eventually stick a polished 4" pipe in place of that rubber piece for a little more "bling", then some LPP headers as well so it looks nicer as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, no offense but the first post's run ons just killed me and I only read about 1/2. :\

Props for thinking outside the box, slap on the wrist for hacking everything up before doing some more thinking lol OK if you cut that last piece that's blocking the end in picture 5 and 6, you may loose some structural stability, but I'm not sure. Also though, you might not even have enough room for a "flat cone" filter.You'll have to measure the room you'll have and compare to their measurements of the filter. This is the only one that I could come up with on K&N's site that would even closely fit and yet not be extremely small :\ The biggest was only like 9" otherwise, compared to this one's 18"
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RP-5135

EDIT: Haha I can't believe someone else did it too, well I guess if there's room, have at it!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it could be a good idea provided that you've planned it out before hacking up ur ride, but the gains from adding a front mount intake are little and might not be worth it at all !
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
OK, no offense but the first post's run ons just killed me and I only read about 1/2. :\

Props for thinking outside the box, slap on the wrist for hacking everything up before doing some more thinking lol OK if you cut that last piece that's blocking the end in picture 5 and 6, you may loose some structural stability, but I'm not sure. Also though, you might not even have enough room for a "flat cone" filter.You'll have to measure the room you'll have and compare to their measurements of the filter. This is the only one that I could come up with on K&N's site that would even closely fit and yet not be extremely small :\ The biggest was only like 9" otherwise, compared to this one's 18"
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RP-5135

EDIT: Haha I can't believe someone else did it too, well I guess if there's room, have at it!
Thanks for that link to K&N just what I needed, and yes I am hesistant about more metal being cut buy I may go inside that area with some angle iron and weld it behind to reinforce....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
I think it could be a good idea provided that you've planned it out before hacking up ur ride, but the gains from adding a front mount intake are little and might not be worth it at all !
I'm not going to start this debate again, obviously people on here have picked sides on this and are either happy with a Factory style CAI or are not, I'm NOT!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
I'm not going to start this debate again, obviously people on here have picked sides on this and are either happy with a Factory style CAI or are not, I'm NOT!!!!!!!!!
If you have the money, you could try and find some of that oval exhaust pipe but in a bigger size. Only problem would be either bending it, or cutting and welding a ton of times to make the bends :\
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sigh.

There are literally hundreds of ways to get air into your engine. I just see so many ideas that will do the exact same thing as a CAI or stock ram-air box will. IMO, that money spent on "rigging" something is much better spent elsewhere. Unless you're more concerned about appearance then it isn't worth it.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Fernco elbow on the MAF that runs to a 6" peice of PVC pipe down through the radiator support with a K&N filter like the on in the pics. The only things needed to make it fit is cut the plastic shroud, and clearance the radiatior support where the elbow will be. Its just so it doesnt tear up the rubber, and should give you more space to work with when you 1st install everything. Here's some pics of whats on my car, along with a similar setup for a vette that might fit with some modifications.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by multmigs
YES!!! I have the motor out and car jacked up so I just was in there cleanin and decided what better time to make this work.. I really wish I had a RAM AIR firebird but the reality is I'm not seeing anyone with a Z28 make that a reality, I think the suncoast ULTRA Z type hoods with their intake is the only thing possible and that's over $1K to do not including paint... So here I am, still not sure about this whole deal I may go back to my original plan of the LS1 lid...
LOL! did you wait untill someone walked by, then popped out to scare them??
Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
I have a Fernco elbow on the MAF that runs to a 6" peice of PVC pipe down through the radiator support with a K&N filter like the on in the pics.

this looks like what I have currently from a C5 intake kit....

You are using a 90 degree piece and it attaches and hangs down into the right area with AC etc installed???
Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, I just realized it is a 90* peice, but once you install it the angle changes since its wedged against the support and the radiator. Im gonna get some more pics this week since my clutch might be on its way, finally!

Quick Reply: Am I smokin crack with this Corvette CAI?