LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Fel-Pro intake gaskets supposed to be installed dry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Fel-Pro intake gaskets supposed to be installed dry?

I was just wondering if you guys run a bead of RTV around the intake ports when you install your intake gaskets. My originals didnt have any and it wasnt leaking on the sides. I didnt put any on the new gaskets themselves, just the front and back where there are no gaskets where your supposed to. Im kind of thinking I should have put some around the ports. What are the chances of oil creeping into the intake ports and going to the combustion chambers? Nothing has ever been milled or anything and the new gaskets seem to fit well. I know, Im kind of paranoid lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You shouldn't have to use RTV anywhere except at the front and back of the intake and maybe extended 1" up the sides.
If you still have a leaking problem, then maybe the heads aren't seated all the way or they maybe warped.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Im pretty sure youre not supposed to put rtv around the intake ports, never heard of anyone done it before and Ive installed my intake 3 different times(leak free) and never used any..
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Okay I should be good then. I extended the bead about 1-2 inches on each side. One other thing that was a PIA were when I took the old gaskets off all of those little line up push in clips broke off in the head and wouldnt come out. I couldnt really use the ones on the new gaskets so I just lined it up with some studs screwed in the bolt holes, one on each side. Anybody else have problems with those things breaking off?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Okay I should be good then. I extended the bead about 1-2 inches on each side. One other thing that was a PIA were when I took the old gaskets off all of those little line up push in clips broke off in the head and wouldnt come out. I couldnt really use the ones on the new gaskets so I just lined it up with some studs screwed in the bolt holes, one on each side. Anybody else have problems with those things breaking off?
Same thing happened to me, I tried to pry it out, and nothing, so I hammered it down more, enough to pop in the new one. Next time I would have tried drilling it out.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked out those dowels with a scribe, it was kind of a PITA but a necessary evil
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get them out with a dental pick no problem.

Quick Reply: New Fel-Pro intake gaskets supposed to be installed dry?