General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing Power Steering Pump

Hey guys, I am attempting to remove my power steering pump from my 99 Trans Am. I bought/rented this pulley puller kit from autozone...http://www.autozone.com/R,4668366/st...ductDetail.htm. And I cannot seem to get it to work, has any body else tried one of these to remove the power steering pulley? If so, any tips on how to use it?

I have been outside trying to use this thing all day and I cannot figure out how to use it, it seems the claw is either to small and I cant get the cover over it or it is too big and it slips. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kit should have a little cover ring that slides over the clam shells 2 pieces that slide over the nub on the power steering pulley.
The cover helps it from slipping off.
They are on there pretty tight.
Good Luck hope it helps.
If you want to drive to Cleveland Oh i'll help you.......................lol
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, I have been using the little cover thing but the claw thingy has two sides one side is thin the other thick. If I use the thinner side it slips, if I use the thicker side I can't get the cover over top the claw. I have tried tapping it with a hammer to see if I could get it a little closer, but no luck. So, I dont know what to do, I may just end up taking it to the shop although I'd rather not.

Alex