Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Warhawk LS7 combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Angry Warhawk LS7 combo

1000 miles on my 427 LS7 Warhawk. 1st run at track 12.4 @121 shakedown run. Ready for 2nd run, 6300rpm 2nd gear, crunch, rips the gear to pieces, splits 1-2 synchro in half. Oh well, **** happens, right.

Motor seemed solid, not. Get home pull into garage, hear a tick that wasn't there before. Afew weeks go by, buddy lets me yank tranny in his shop. Figured I'd look at the rockers while waiting on tranny to be rebuilt.

Pull valve covers, #1 rocker not looking right. ****, LS7 rocker issue, cap broken out, needle bearings puked into motor. Oh boy. Pull rocker and intake valve, lash cap and tip flattened and retainer busted. Have to replace valve, sucks. Well, pull other cover and find spring pieces in that head. Gee, it just gets better. Pull all rockers and find a few missing needle retainer caps. Sweet. Pull head find alot of bearings and broken springs in lifter area. Couple of lifters have broken pieces in cup and are trash. So, what the hell, Lets look at the block sleeves. Why? Probably since all 4 sleeves on that side have all dropped a few thousandths. Just great.

So, now its onto pulling and disassembling the whole motor to have the block decked and see if the cam is damaged. What a M'RF'R. I think my 100lb. bag just lost 60-70 lbs. Knuckles feel good though. Warhawk looks good on paper but, not in the car. Its time to.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, Sorry to hear that bro.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like you had some serious issues going on like some healthy valvefloat to tear up that much stuff in the valvetrain. What kind of setup?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
sounds like you had some serious issues going on like some healthy valvefloat to tear up that much stuff in the valvetrain. What kind of setup?
I would agree if the Warhawk block didn't have the sleeve issue happen to a few people and the Corvette forum has a sticky on the LS7 rockers puking their guts on many 07' Z06 Vettes. The springs are broke where the rockers failed. Its a complete LS7 top end. My rockers were purchased in mid 07'.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

the block obviously irrelvant to teh valvetrain, definitely some serious other issues going on there. Mind me asking who assembled everything bare block to longblock?

Top end was complete factory fare, springs, cam, pushrods, rockers, lifters, unmilled stock LS7 heads, gaskets etc?

We have run the Yella Terra LS7 rocker setup with 550# open pressures, seems like decetn quality stuff, probably a good way for you to go there.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

That my friend SUCKS. put some JESSELS on it this time.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Damn man sorry to hear that sucks. Now you can make it better.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Damn that sucks.....
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

So what is the fix for the sleeve issue? Do you have to heat that bitch and press them to make sure that they are bottomed. I have not sent my Warhawk to the machinist yet. I talked to world and they said that I should bolt a torque plate down first if I were going to have it decked. I plan on having the whole block finished on a CNC. I swear that Ray Charles is alive and machining blocks at world by hand with that free **** drill on that infomercial that you get with the awesome auger.

Last edited by Kx69; 01-29-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to Bob @ EPP who has dealt with this issue and they decked the block. They don't think the sleeves will drop anymore. I've heard the sleeves can drop when the torque plate is bolted on. Thats internet talk so, I'm just speculating. What did World say about helping you out? Spend all this F'n money just to spend it again for a product that was supposed to the real deal. And no KISS afterwords.

As far as the valvetrain everything is checking out fine where the rockers didn't spew bearings. So, did the motor overrev when 2nd gear stripped at 6700 rpm? Rev limit was set at 7200 per the tune. Seems doubtfull. Oh well!

Last edited by bigblockb; 01-29-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

So you were using a full stock LS7 topend and this happened? No upgraded springs or seats or anything?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

LS7X cam from Vengeance
Patriot Gold springs
Comp push rods
Stock Ls7 rockers
Shaver Specialties lifters purchased through World
Stock LS7 Heads and intake

The cam, springs, push rods, and rockers were all purchased from Vengeance as a kit. The springs that are broke (inner only) are where the rockers failed.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

World said just make sure that you bolt down the torque plate before you deck. Bill Mitchell did leave a message on my voice mail when I was questioning there over drilled main cap bolt holes, and casting flaws though. I work in the aerospace industry and can find that **** with my eyes closed; apparently there is little or no quality control at world. We should get a group together and get there QS-9000 certification pulled. I have about 98 lbs in the crate of supporting evidence. I can’t see how they meet it.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thats funny! I work in Military electronics with ISO 9000 or whatever its up to now and all it seems to be is you have documented your production procedures. I have never seen anybody check to make sure that what is written in the procedure is what is done. Only time management worries about is is for the ISO audit. Then all I see is them checking that there are procedures on the manufacturing floor and that's it. Nobody checks to see if the work is done that way. And this is for the military. Can you imagine what there ISO at a private company is probably like. I know you can! "Hey, we have the ISO auditors coming to certify us. Make sure our procedures are printed up and be ready to take a break when they are here. I know its been a few years, but that certification makes it look like we know what we are doing. It looks good on our website. Yeah, we should do it every year, but whose gonna know."
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kx69
I swear that Ray Charles is alive and machining blocks at world by hand with that free **** drill on that infomercial that you get with the awesome auger.

Somebody fuking Photoshop that.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

^There. Make it so.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigblockb
LS7X cam from Vengeance
Patriot Gold springs
Comp push rods
Stock Ls7 rockers
Shaver Specialties lifters purchased through World
Stock LS7 Heads and intake

The cam, springs, push rods, and rockers were all purchased from Vengeance as a kit. The springs that are broke (inner only) are where the rockers failed.
Only reason I asked was because I had the same type of failure on an LS2 a couple years ago. I had a set of Patriot Gold springs and all the goodies. I couldn't get some of my stock spring seats off so I just left them in place and used the ones supplied with the springs where I could geth the stockers off. I didn't realize at that time, that the stock seats didn't fit inside the inner springs and I destroyed several rockers and springs, just as you described.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

We built a 496 using a World block... First block that was sent to us had to be returned. All the machine work in the world wouldnt have made it usable. The 2nd block was MUCH better but we could atleast work past all of their flaws... Customer service at World absolutely SUCKS!!!

To the OP, Shot you a PM, let me know if we can help you out with anything!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

You would think a shop making parts this shitty wouldn't be in business anymore. Why do people keep buying from them if it's known their products are not up to par?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

I bought mine when they first came out in 07'. Completed short block trying to avoid problems. Just took forever to get it back on the road. Hopefully, once its decked, Iwon't have any more block issues.

Quick Reply: Warhawk LS7 combo