Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building a rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a rearend?

Trying to decide between a 12 bolt or 9 inch. I drive my car alot. Usually just crusing around but I do to take it to the track sometimes. I am pushing 420/370 to the wheels. I also have this strange feeling my stock 10 bolts will not last beyond the 14th of feb (free race day at the track ).

What would be the best gears to go to...this is a m6 car. Like i said I do drive this car and take it on alot of trips so I am leaning towards a 12 bolt and 3.72s. but open to anything.

would it also be cheaper to build it myself or order it complete?

I have a nice turbo400 tranny I could trade towards a rearend if anyone wants it with some boot.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

heres the general rule of thumb on 12b vs. 9 inch: M6+track use= 9 inch. the 12b is known to pick up noise after being run at the dragstrip, especially with a M6 car. not that the 12b isn't a good rearend, but the 9 is usually the choice for a car that sees any track use.

as far as gear choice, most common gearset for the M6 cars in your power range is the 4.11s. 3.73s will decrease your highway rpm's, but may not be quite as good at the track. maybe split the difference and go with a 3.89.

if you are real good with gears and have the correct tools to set one up, you could get by with a bit less cost by purchasing all the components seperately. otherwise don't mess with the gears. a 12b rearend will come setup complete anyway, and the 9 inch can come either completely assembled or in parts where all you have to do is install the complete center section into the housing, press the bearings on the axles and then install them into the housing. the 9 inch rearend assembly is actually really simple.

the 9 inch rearend i offer is completely streetable, easy bolt-in construction with all the necessary hardware, lightest and strongest design, lots of build options.

pm me for a quote on any rearend you choose, whether it be a 9 inch, S60, or 12 bolt. i am direct with Strange and Moser and offer the best pricing on any rearend package.