Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bolt-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clear Bolt-Ons

Does anyone else think that having clear engine components/accessories would be cool? The first thing I ever saw was the clear differential cover made from polycarbonate. Its as strong as steel (that **** saved my eyes from shrapnel in Iraq btw) and you can make it clear (like sunglass lenses ). The clear dif cover was supposed to be practical in that you could see any moisture/junk inside the diff without having to ****** it off. Did it work? Not sure.

But how about someone making some clear valve covers? Or some clear coil packs? Or even a clear intake manifold!! You wouldnt really have to stop there, but I think the clear intake would be bad ***. Polymer can be clear, correct? Would it be as simple as telling them not to add the color to the mixture or is there a lot of polishing that would have to take place in order to make it truly clear.

I am not really focusing on any practical benefits from this, but rather a theme under the hood. I mean, when you have a clear lid... come on.

I want to hear your opinion, good or bad.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im with you on this one seriously
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a clear LS6 or equivilent would be badass, not too sure about the valve covers, they would end up looking bad from all the oil
Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the manifold would end up getting discolored from the heat, oil, and maybe fuel residue. Does sound interesting though...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default like this !!!!!

http://www.spiderautomotive.com/td8402.html prob have to clean once and a while .
Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, stuff would get nasty but you would be able to see stuff working, like the oil skeeting out onto the valve covers. Maybe you could actually watch seafoam enter in the back of you manifold when you pour it down the booster hose. Hell, sales on catch cans might go up if people could see all the oil and crap coating their intakes I'm sure that someone who understands how heat and gunk effects the transparency of a plastic could modify the mixture to include some magical substance, like unicorn horn extract for instance, that could help keep it clear under harsh conditions. Maybe the same technology could be applied to coolant hoses or even fuel lines. The old clear fuel filters never really looked nasty Clear spark plug wires wouldnt be a big deal. Clear smooth bellows would be cool, as well as a clear oil pan. Sure, you wouldnt be able to see through the oil, but you might be able to see if there's something laying on the bottom of the pan... like part of a gasket or maybe even a sludge sickle. Air compressors have a window for the oil level that doesnt ever really distort much. I've got an 80 gallon industrial RolAir compressor that came from gov deals. It must be 500 years old and its still clear. The compressor gets HOT when you're sand blasting. Still clear.

I'm not arguing that it CAN be done, all I am saying is "wouldnt it be cool?"
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

ya i think that would be cool as ****! but i can see this being expensive...
Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

i was actually searching clear valve covers last night and found this pic, clear valve covers, clear fast intake, clear lid, and possibly a clear timing cover would be pretty sweet
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

^ see awesome, where is 6litereater? i think we have a product!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

That does look pretty damn sweet... till you start it up
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Yeah, stuff would get nasty but you would be able to see stuff working, like the oil skeeting out onto the valve covers. Maybe you could actually watch seafoam enter in the back of you manifold when you pour it down the booster hose. Hell, sales on catch cans might go up if people could see all the oil and crap coating their intakes I'm sure that someone who understands how heat and gunk effects the transparency of a plastic could modify the mixture to include some magical substance, like unicorn horn extract for instance, that could help keep it clear under harsh conditions. Maybe the same technology could be applied to coolant hoses or even fuel lines. The old clear fuel filters never really looked nasty Clear spark plug wires wouldnt be a big deal. Clear smooth bellows would be cool, as well as a clear oil pan. Sure, you wouldnt be able to see through the oil, but you might be able to see if there's something laying on the bottom of the pan... like part of a gasket or maybe even a sludge sickle. Air compressors have a window for the oil level that doesnt ever really distort much. I've got an 80 gallon industrial RolAir compressor that came from gov deals. It must be 500 years old and its still clear. The compressor gets HOT when you're sand blasting. Still clear.

Hahaha, this whole post made me laugh."The oil skeeting out onto the valve covers... unicorn horn extract..." I think its a great idea, I guess the issue is just keeping things clean.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrob56
^ see awesome, where is 6litereater? i think we have a product!
Hell yeah! He's prolly the man to get something fabbed up. The timing cover would be cool, but nearly impossible to see. Keep the comments rolling. Maybe we'll create some momentum.

Everyone that looks under my hood always has a comment about the clear lid, and how cool it is. Imagine what people would do with a clear intake manifold or valve covers... even though the coil packs would hide most of it
The clear oil pan would be bad *** on oil changes: "Crap... how much more oil is in there?... Oh let me just look... eww is that a bandaid stuck to the inside of the oil pan?"
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

... eww is that a bandaid stuck to the inside of the oil pan?"
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i can see doing the valve covers with out a major company doing them. you could cut the top off of a set, and attaching a plastic polymer on top. what would really be cool is having a clear block, yes i know its impossible. maybe in the future just like the intakes were.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

... unicorn extract. Hey maybe you could figure out how to make a clear window... oh wait
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

If you do a google images search for stuff like clear valve covers, transparent valve covers, or see thru valve covers you get a few pictures... So its been done. Clear valve covers would be bad ***... but without the coil pack relocation it would be blocked... sorta. The intake manifold is what I want to see thru. Crap... make a clear catch can! I bet people would change their fluids more often if you were reminded by the floating grass hopper in your catch can...
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Id be all for a clear manifold and valve covers. If you could make an oil pan in polycarbonate it would pretty cool so you could constantly check your oil condition just by taking a look.

IF there was transparent material that you could make a block out of, that would be insane. Think about being able to watch your pistons, valves, crank and everything move every time you look under your hood
Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

It would make diagnosing problems really easy. Dammit, am I going to have to go into the business of making clear car parts?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would make diagnosing problems really easy. Dammit, am I going to have to go into the business of making clear car parts?
... yes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
... yes
+1 get to work