Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a big difference between an off-the-shelf cam vs a custom cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a big difference between an off-the-shelf cam vs a custom cam?

This Spring I will be buying a new tranny, 3800 stall (what Circle D recommended) and also buying a cam at the same time to make sure everything was matched up properly.

I've fairly new to which company makes the better cams (I know in regards to Mustangs, a lot of car owners tend to go with FTI) when it comes to LS1s, so I've been looking around at some of Ed Curtis' cams.

My goal is to dyno 400 at the wheels with the combo in my sig and the stall. The car, first and foremost, will be my daily driver but want 11-second capabilities NA.

Are there any noticable difference between taking an off the shelf cam that should run well with a engine combo as opposed to buying a custom cam that will run well with an engine combo?

I'm still months away from this but want to go ahead and decide if I should look at an off the shelf cam or look for a reputable company to have it built for my specs.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

The TR230/224 has a dyno graph with 410hp to the wheels with really similar mods to yours. It's the cam I plan on getting in the next couple months.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

That looks like it would be a good match for my car. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed can help you with a cam selection. I am still up in the air about it also, but I did fill out a cam request sheet, so if I decide to buy custom, it will be through him. The only thing I do not like, is that you can't see the cam card ahead of time. But I understand where he is coming from, and doesn't want any other companies to steal his grinds.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Custom all the way, I didnt think it would matter on bolt on cars since they are all the same, but just give the cam gurus a call or email and youll be suprised as to how different their specs are =)
Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most shops can spec you a custom grind directed toward your specific mods done to the car. Believe it or not, there isn't a magical 20RWHP in something like the "custom" 230/230 cam that is pretty trendy right now compared to a 228R or Torquer v.2 (232/234) "shelf" cam that we stock. The idea behind or cams is to have cams across the board in a 5-6 HP increments. Thus it will give us an idea on what kind of power it will give the customer. That being said, we can make changes to our shelf cams or spec custom cams geared toward a customers goals for their car.

We do extensive dyno tests on every cam prior to releasing so it performs as we want it to. The fact that we sell the same cam more than once doesn't make it a mediocre cam that is somehow inferior to a one off cam. Many of the "custom" cams you see on here are already running in someone else's cars that asked for custom cams. The cam worked well so they recommend it again to another customer with similar mods. There is no difference in this and a shelf cam. Just that shops like us purchase several at a time to have them on hand.

Either way you want to go, we can get you a cam to meet your goals for your car. With the right supporting mods, you can get the car into the 11's and still have it daily driver friendly. Feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call with any questions!

Jon
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Jon is on point. Every car is setup differently and the owners have different goals in mind so 'custom' grinds are getting popular. My personal goal was to maximize my stock LS6 heads, peak power at higher revs since the car is light, and wanted keeping drivability/tune relatively easy. The result was a 22x/23x cam with a .600+ lift. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf cam that fit my picky needs, so a custom cam of similar cost was appropriate.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks. It looks like I'll spend the extra little bit to know I am getting a good cam.