LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What else should I install while my car is getting a cam installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What else should I install while my car is getting a cam installed?

I think I've got my list pretty set up for what I want to have done that's within the spend limit (not really a set limit, but what I want to spend)

Before G13 I plan to have my CC503 installed. I am going to take it to a local shop that specializes in 4th gen F-body work, and is kinda a friend of mine. I have assembled a list of what I want to go while he is installing it. I am just curious if there are any other things I might should consider installing during the time of a cam swap. Stock LT1 with 133k miles right now.

I already have the CC503, but need to buy the rest of the parts. Here's my list so far.

Patriot Valve spring kit 8401-BSBC (with retainers, locks, bases, seals)
Comp Pro Magnum NSA 1.6 7/16" rockers
Comp 7/16" studs
Comp 3/8 guideplates
Comp hardened pushrods 7.2" length
Comp double roller timing set.

Don't know if I am going to do lifters yet or not

Prothane motor mounts
Felpro Intake Manifold gasket
Felpro Oil pan gasket
Racetronix fuel pump + wiring harness upgrade

I have considered 4.10 gears, but I have a 150 shot that I don't think I'll want to have with 4.10s

I will be installing an MSD ingition coil, a new set of TR6's, and probably some LCA's with relocation brackets shortly after or before myself.

I plan to do some suspension upgrades on my own, but all these above are what I want my shop guy to install. Feedback please. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I think I've got my list pretty set up for what I want to have done that's within the spend limit (not really a set limit, but what I want to spend)

Before G13 I plan to have my CC503 installed. I am going to take it to a local shop that specializes in 4th gen F-body work, and is kinda a friend of mine. I have assembled a list of what I want to go while he is installing it. I am just curious if there are any other things I might should consider installing during the time of a cam swap. Stock LT1 with 133k miles right now.

I already have the CC503, but need to buy the rest of the parts. Here's my list so far.

Patriot Valve spring kit 8401-BSBC (with retainers, locks, bases, seals)
Comp Pro Magnum NSA 1.6 7/16" rockers
Comp 7/16" studs
Comp 3/8 guideplates
Comp hardened pushrods 7.2" length
Comp double roller timing set.

Don't know if I am going to do lifters yet or not

Prothane motor mounts
Felpro Intake Manifold gasket
Felpro Oil pan gasket
Racetronix fuel pump + wiring harness upgrade

I have considered 4.10 gears, but I have a 150 shot that I don't think I'll want to have with 4.10s

I will be installing an MSD ingition coil, a new set of TR6's, and probably some LCA's with relocation brackets shortly after or before myself.

I plan to do some suspension upgrades on my own, but all these above are what I want my shop guy to install. Feedback please. Thank you.
Electric water pump
160 thermostat
52mm throttlebody or at least an airfoil
Throttlebody coolant bypass
EGR blockoff

Use your stock lifters they will be fine.

You need a tube of ULTRA BLACK silicone
5 quarts of oil and a filter
Gallon of coolant
Timing cover gasket set

Why do you need an oil pan gasket?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, that will be a sweet setup. that guy at the shop will be racking up a fat bill for you.

what is it all costing? parts and labor? i'm assuming you're giving him the parts to install?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Electric water pump
160 thermostat
52mm throttlebody or at least an airfoil
Throttlebody coolant bypass
EGR blockoff

Use your stock lifters they will be fine.

You need a tube of ULTRA BLACK silicone
5 quarts of oil and a filter
Gallon of coolant
Timing cover gasket set

Why do you need an oil pan gasket?
+1 although for the price I would put on some LS7 lifters. GMPARTSDIRECT has them for a really good price.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think I'll be doing an EWP at all until WAY later down the road, when my car isn't my DD and it's being built more (I know EWP's are reliable, just what I want to do)
I don't think I'll do a thermostat since I've got a tune for lower fan temps anyway.
I've got a BBK TB was installed before me, I think it's a 58mm but not 100% sure
EGR and all emissions was removed during longtube installation

I'm pretty sure I won't need to supply fluids.
I haven't thought about the timing cover gasket set, but I may now.

I'm pretty sure my oil leak is partly due to my oil pan gasket.. It's not for the cam, just because I want a new gasket, and might as well since the motor will be jacked up for motor mounts.

Yes I will be supplying all parts. He quoted me $400 for all valvetrain labor. I haven't talked much about the misc parts for labor yet but will shortly.

I'm seeing lifters from GMPARTSDIRECT for $29. There's no way that's for all 16
Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think I'll be doing an EWP at all until WAY later down the road, when my car isn't my DD and it's being built more (I know EWP's are reliable, just what I want to do)
I don't think I'll do a thermostat since I've got a tune for lower fan temps anyway.
I've got a BBK TB was installed before me, I think it's a 58mm but not 100% sure
EGR and all emissions was removed during longtube installation

I'm pretty sure I won't need to supply fluids.
I haven't thought about the timing cover gasket set, but I may now.

I'm pretty sure my oil leak is partly due to my oil pan gasket.. It's not for the cam, just because I want a new gasket, and might as well since the motor will be jacked up for motor mounts.

Yes I will be supplying all parts. He quoted me $400 for all valvetrain labor. I haven't talked much about the misc parts for labor yet but will shortly.

I'm seeing lifters from GMPARTSDIRECT for $29. There's no way that's for all 16

damn - $400 is not bad. What are all the parts costing you roughly?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just curious since u have a high milage engine, are you going to have it gone through and checked out while you are doing the cam swap. I have 132K on mine and still wondering if throwing a cam and NOS is really a good idea.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

He also said $150 for fuel pump. I'll see if he will come down on that since I'm bringing him a few things to do. This is partly the reason I don't know if I want 4.10s or not yet, because the rear will be dropped anyway at the time..

$100 for the used cam with 500 miles. and right about $1000 for everything else I mentioned.

Yes I'd like to have a compression test done and checkin the block out, but I'm not getting any bottom end work done just yet.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeh, you need valve cover gaskets.

Lifters are a waste of money, pull yours, clean and inspect them. If they look ok put them right back in.

He is gonna put a pan gasket on included in the $400?

Your fan programming is doing nothing without a 160 t stat.

Is he gonna drop the tank to do the fuel pump for $150? Or do the trap door mod?

Are you gonna have it tuned?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Added valve cover gaskets to my list.

I'm unsure about the gasket included in $400 yet. I still got plenty of discussing to do, I just want to get my parts together first.
Tank will be dropped, and yes I'll have Madtuner retune my car.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Go with a different timing chain. Those Comp ones are expensive! Well unless you already have it but when I was looking those things were like $500! Even the LT4 ED would be cheaper.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by porksoda
Go with a different timing chain. Those Comp ones are expensive! Well unless you already have it but when I was looking those things were like $500! Even the LT4 ED would be cheaper.
I have a regular Gen1 double roller in mine. Does fine. Cant remember who makes it though.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I see Comp part # CCA-2100 on Summit for about $30? Timing chain and gears..
Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Added valve cover gaskets to my list.

I'm unsure about the gasket included in $400 yet. I still got plenty of discussing to do, I just want to get my parts together first.
Tank will be dropped, and yes I'll have Madtuner retune my car.

There is a good amount of work putting an oil pan gasket on in the car, be careful.

Also, has this guy ever put a fuel pump in a 4th gen? You do know it is a ROYAL pain dropping the tank in these cars? The rear axle has to come WAY down to get it out. It almost has to come out.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

ALL this guy does is F-Body work.. Buys and sells them, part-outs, builds, etc.. He's a guru at these things.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

This is the only one I see on Comp's site http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=LTTIMMING

And yes the oil pan gasket is a pain in the butt!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Hey Tim, sounds like you have everything listed that I would do. Have you considered an LT4 intake? That might help that cam out, while not necessary it may help it breath. Are you still runnning the stock opti? Might want to change it since the crank pulley and balancer will be off. Other than that you've got a killer set up that is going to give my
LS1 a run. Let me know it goes man. Later!

Mike
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

LT4 intake will require LT4 heads. I know a guy who does good portwork I'm gonna go to later down the road and just have my stocker ported, polished, and painted . Thanks for the input Mike. I'll see ya at G13!

Previous owner installed a new opti before I got it. Might be about 40-50k on this opti.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UTfan01SS
Hey Tim, sounds like you have everything listed that I would do. Have you considered an LT4 intake? That might help that cam out, while not necessary it may help it breath. Are you still runnning the stock opti? Might want to change it since the crank pulley and balancer will be off. Other than that you've got a killer set up that is going to give my
LS1 a run. Let me know it goes man. Later!

Mike
this setup should MOLEST a stock LS1.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Haha.. His won't be stock.

Quick Reply: What else should I install while my car is getting a cam installed?