Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ANOTHER "skinny" question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER "skinny" question

I understand the question "Is it safe to run skinny's on the street for extended periods of time?" has been asking probably 1,000 times on here... And I know people are sort of all over the place with their opinions. But one thing I've noticed that's missing from the original question is this... ARP studs!

I plan on replacing ALL of my studs with ARP, I'll either be running a 4" or 3.5" up front (and 10.5 on the rear, not that it's of any importance). I don't plan on doing any kind of rally-style driving on the road as I know taking turns fast would no longer be a possibility. I guess what I'm worried about it taking the car up to 70ish on the highway with that skinny *** wheel/tire. I don't plan on keeping these babies on the car for months and month... But wouldnt mind knowing if it's "safe" to keep them on longer than just track time.

I've heard stories of the front wheel coming off, but I believe the owner never replaced his studs w/ stronger, longer ARPs... Sooo.... Let the opinions fly!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use 15x3.5 Greg Weld Dragstars with ARP 3.250" studs and 26x4.5-15 M/T ET Front tires, and drove the car at least once a week all last summer on that setup. I even occasionally drove it to our campground, which is about an hour drive on the expressway.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The biggest challenge with skinnies are pot holes and bumps. You have to look at it like this... a regular 7" wheel has a lot more contact area and a lot more ability to spread out an impulse load. A skinny or 3.5 or 4" will have a smaller area, so the forces will be more concentrated (think of it like a paper cut).

I would say the wheel coming off could be attributed to running a spacer and taking the load off the shoulder of the stud and the hub and moving it out towards the threaded portion of the stud. Or maybe they used the wrong length lugs?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Launching!

I plan on running a long stud w/ the spacer