General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hatch lock seized up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch lock seized up?

Didn't find anything relevant in search.... Hatch will open via button however the key won't budge the lock. Any remedies or do I need to drill out the rivets and get another lock?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem last winter. try spraying some wd40 in the lock and on the key. just wiggle the key in and out a few times and it should be good. you also might want to try graphite lock lubricant, which can be found at autozone or homedepot.

i came across this too. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...e-From-a-Penc/
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me also. gonna try and lube my lock and see if i can fix this prob because the key hole is the only way im able to open my hatch since i did away with the electricals building a stripped out strip car
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah car's been sitting for a bit. I thought the other day I had some spray silicone with the plastic straw extension and thought maybe stick that in there and spray the hell out of it. As it sits, key won't budge. I was afraid I'd twist the key off in there with too much force.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yeah car's been sitting for a bit. I thought the other day I had some spray silicone with the plastic straw extension and thought maybe stick that in there and spray the hell out of it. As it sits, key won't budge. I was afraid I'd twist the key off in there with too much force.
ya im sure mine needs lubricated and is why i cant open it with a key. ive never used the key before because ive always used the button but now i have to use to key for the doors and hatch because ive done away with alot of electrical to build a super light-weight strip car