Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Recommendations???

Looks like I'm easing my way into FI... As some of you know, I've been a nitrous guy for a while, I have never messed with FI and I feel like a tard when people around me even talk about it. Sooooooo, My girlfriend has an 01 SS, right now all it has is a set of LT's, a lid, and a cutout. I am in the process of pulling the motor out to freshen it up (along with replacing the flywheel that broke) I'm on a limited budget but I have other cars to drive so I have plenty of time to do this and do it right.
Our goals for the car are to keep it 100% streetable, with A/C and heat along with all the other creature comforts and be able to run mid 10's or so if we want....On 17's.
As of right now I plan on buying a set of boost friendly Diamond pistons, Hellfire rings, and ARP 2000 rod bolts. I believe for what I'm doing the stock crank & rods will be fine. I will probably have the tops of the pistons coated along with the chambers on the heads. I also plan on using head and main studs, and GM MLS gaskets. I will love on the heads a little bit myself, nothing too crazy, basically just clean them up and smooth them out.

We are gonna keep it stock CI, just hone it to 3.905 to clean it up. I will probably just use the ol' 6.0 truck manifolds since they are cheap and proven and the rest of the duct work will be done by myself along with the help of a few friends that have built some badass turbo cars.

One of my questions is.... Will a LS6 cam be enough to do what I need it to or should I go a little bigger? From the little bit I have read about this stuff I figure I'll go with something around a 76mm turbo, would that be overkill? Also, I see alot of people using the E-Bay intercoolers, are these ok?

We are gonna put a TH400 in it for now till my ol' lady graduates nursing school, then it will get a 4L80. I'll either do a 12 bolt or build an 8.8 for it along with all the beefy suspension stuff. I'll be taking out what weight I can without robbing any creature comforts.

As far as the fuel system goes, I'll be doing two in tank walbro's with a -8 feed line and a -6 return. Sound ok?

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me and I'll go ahead and apoligize fr all the stupid questions I ask.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think it all sounds good to go but..

if you require a/c you will require the overdirve and might as well save for that while you are doing the work and not spend money twice on a th400
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I already have a good TH400

The car isn't going on any road trips for now, just cruising around town. The only wasted money would be on the converter and drive shaft. I could just send the converter back and have them set it u for a 4L80 when I was ready couldn't I?

Do you think the LS6 cam with a 76mm turbo would be a good choice for what I'm doing?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI if your going to use 6.0 manifolds your going to lose A/C. You could use a 6.0 maniforld on the drivers side and a C6 manifold on the passenger side. That way you can keep the A/C.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Hmmmm, I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add aftermarket connecting rods while you are into the engine. Make sure the machine shop you choose uses torque plates. Bob
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

I've been debating going ahead and doing rods, I probably will just incase I want to really crank it up.