Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ok, another "critique my plan"

Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, another "critique my plan"

Got a 98 T/A. EVERYTHING is junk. Redoing entire stereo sys, and wanna be somewhat modest. Car is a DD and I am a long haired metal freak - IE lots of very quick, tight double bass. Also, this is definitely the car that I would be using for say....an outdoor cookout as the sound system - leave the hatch open and blast tunes.

Here's the basic plan, wanna know the pros and cons:

-Pioneer DEH-p6600 head unit - already happen to have anyhow and serves my purposes well, line input for carpc and three preouts.

-A basic set of components in the front, alpines or something. I would replace the factor woofer and tweeter with a modern 4 ohm set being powered by one channel of an amp each

-Hack out the rear hatch area and throw in some strong 6x9's. These would be used mostly for the "party" occasions. I realize the sound quality "loss" but I'm hoping they're good at producing lots of volume. The 6x9's I have in my impala just don't sound bad to me considering I have an mp3 player as a source.

-A solid, probably 800/4max watt amp to push the front and hatch speakers

-kicker subs in factory size for the sails

-A separate 2 channel amp to push the subs, probably around 450-600 watts total peak

I'd love a 10 inch, but I just don't think I wanna put in the effort, even with a stealth box, I don't wanna lose room. I have found an ebay seller who's got the kicker subs for a pretty good price, I already have a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp I can use. At this point, every single factory speaker is just toast.

Any recommendations on speaker/amp brands? I know there's some debate on the 6x9's around here so I expect to catch some flaq for that. Anyone else use the car as a "party stereo"?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont use the kickers
i had some in the stock location and they have fail me horribly
ive heard that the elemental designs are decent im trying those in a couple days

and as far as the rear 6x9 consider 5x7
i just install my eclipse 5x7 today and was able to get them to fit with the stock covers on them
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listen to metal almost exclusively, lots and lots o double bass and my system sounds awesome with it.

I've got an older Clarion deck, wanting to replace, but it gets the job done.

Sub: 1 - 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC(in a stealth box)

Amps: Rockford Fosgate Punch 500w(for the sub)
Alpine MRP-F300 75w x 4(for speakers)

Speakers: Focal 165 A1 Components
Focal 165 CA1

I've got a 1 Farad capacitor too, can't remember brand though.

I can play it as loud as I want with no distortion, the double bass kicks are distinct and don't blend together like they do on most peoples systems. Really, a 10" sub seems the best for metal. I left the speakers in the hatch stock, and powered by the deck, because the sub kinda drowns them out anyway. Replaced the speakers in the door and by the rear passenger seats with the Focals and have them running off the Alpine amp.

Search this Thread