Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ws6 vs G35 and Camed 07 gt

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ws6 vs G35 and Camed 07 gt

Ok ill start with the G35 wasnt to much but i thought it was pretty cool. I was driving home today and i stop at a red light and there is a g35 in front of me didnt think much of it. Then the light turns green and he guns it im like what the hell why not so i gun it. I get into the lane next to him and by 50 mph im next to him and then i pass him pretty hard i thought it was funny and so did my girlfriend she laughed to.

Now the real race my buddy calls me and tells me he just got cams in his 07 gt he also has full exhaust intake 3.73 and a tune. I asked him if he wanted to race cause i beat him in my camed lt1 when he only had bolt ons he says hell yea. Im thinking he will probebly beat me being my car only has a lid and gmmg but its all good im always down to race. We race twice once from a dig
i honk it off and we both go he spins me not to bad and i get 1 1/2 lengths on him he starts pullin and by 110 i got him by 1/2 the second race is from a roll around 50 its a very good race we go up to 120 and i get a car on him.
It was a good race i thought his car would be faster i told him to get his car dyno tuned and ditch his hand held tuner and we can race when i put my headers on. He says hes geting a big blower then he will race lol dam mustangs
Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Was he manual or auto.If it was auto the car suffered from not having a stall,if not the manual sucks as well.Take the gt 500 's ok on a roll but at the strip total dogs.If he was stalled from a dig you would have your hands full.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea he is an auto and no its not stalled i told him he needed one and it would make a huge difference hes geting his car dyno tuned today so we will see what he makes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tune will help for sure. Good kill man
Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me get this straight.....he has a fullt exhaust, most bolt ons, with cams (even if 'blower' cams) and he went with a box tune?............so, he spent ~2k on his cam setup, and didn't bother with a custom tune. WOW

He's probably down a good 30 rwhp AND is probably runnign lean at WOT. Unless you are missing something, he really needs to look more into what he's doing.

Some performance guys I just don't understand.

Nice kills.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

^ i was thinking the same thing. and what were his dyno numbers!? get them posted!

because i am totally a stang hater, but he should have still been able to put a length or two atleast i'd think.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

what kind of cam is he running?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by c5z28
what kind of camS is he running?
*fixed*
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Is it really that pertinant that you type cam or cams in that sentence?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He has mild cams in his car and he just got it dyno tuned today he called me and said it made 333rwhp and yes is shitty box tune was very messed up the numbers before were 298rwhp so it would defintly be a little different next time that is into i get my headers and tune!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't even aware that they were selling canned tunes with cam packages......but I haven't really looked in a while. If he's got that much done he definitely needs a good dynotune. These 3V GT's are very tune sensitive, and if his tune isn't setup for everything he has done then he's wasting his time. No mail order tune is gonna do everything it should for his car. Although I'm surprised he's packing 333rwhp on the rollers with just mild cams and his handheld program....but that doesn't mean his curve is where it should be.

I agree with Pony on this, if you're gonna cough up the dough to cam out a mod motor, spend the little bit extra and get a proper tune on it. That's alot of money to not have your car running where it should. But...his numbers are actually pretty good if he pulled that big a jump just with the cams. As others have said, his stock auto could be hurting him too now with all the extra power.

Good kill. What kind of setup do you have?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Launching!

I'm guessing it was a mustang dyno.He is about 15 hp off of what it should dyno.The cams are hurting him on the dig runs beacuse the car is losing bottom end with out the stall.Before somebody else says it 363 with cams?my ls1 cam only, dyno's 407 + which most do . Lol!! Not bad for a 281 ci .
Originally Posted by 97ta383
He has mild cams in his car and he just got it dyno tuned today he called me and said it made 333rwhp and yes is shitty box tune was very messed up the numbers before were 298rwhp so it would defintly be a little different next time that is into i get my headers and tune!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, cams on an OHC motor aren't gonna see the kind of gains that you do on a pushrod motor......that's just the way it is. If he's not running race or highend cams, then he picked up some nice gains...even considering it's a canned tune. Regardless, he will definitely benefit from a custom dynotune and a good stall setup. If he gets well enough acquainted with it, it should be a potent lil 3V.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

ive seen multiple 3v's with over 350 rwhp with bolt on's and either the hot rod cams or the cc thumper cams. there's a guy i talk to with full bolt-on's frpp heads and cc state 2 cams with 390 rwhp
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he made 333rwhp with a good dyno tune he was only making 298 with the crappy tune im not sure exactly the cams he is useing its not the hot rod cams he told me that they are comp cams though. My set up is just slp lid, plugs, wires, 160 thermostat, and a gmmg catback. I told him he needs a torque converter to make is really move but i thought his numbers werent bad for a mild camed bolt on auto 3v.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Teching In

look at my #'s without cams. my tuner also told me i would dyno around 350 rwhp with a set of cams. some ppl on here r underestimating canned tunes. many reputable places have very very good canned tunes,so close that ppl that get them dyno tuned after just having a canned tune to get them by have only gained a couple hp any mayb a little driveability.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97ta383
Requoted so every one can see...

Originally Posted by kennyxg
I'm guessing it was a mustang dyno.He is about 15 hp off of what it should dyno.The cams are hurting him on the dig runs beacuse the car is losing bottom end with out the stall.Before somebody else says it 363 with cams?my ls1 cam only, dyno's 407 + which most do . Lol!! Not bad for a 281 ci .
Uh....nope. See below.

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Yea, cams on an OHC motor aren't gonna see the kind of gains that you do on a pushrod motor......that's just the way it is. If he's not running race or highend cams, then he picked up some nice gains...even considering it's a canned tune. Regardless, he will definitely benefit from a custom dynotune and a good stall setup. If he gets well enough acquainted with it, it should be a potent lil 3V.

Originally Posted by jawsgt
ive seen multiple 3v's with over 350 rwhp with bolt on's and either the hot rod cams or the cc thumper cams. there's a guy i talk to with full bolt-on's frpp heads and cc state 2 cams with 390 rwhp
Correction factor and link please? I know much more about 4V's than 3V's, I admit...and I have some learning to do on the 3V's, but I have a heard time believing that is without intake work. I also find it hard to believe that several S197s are putting down 350 rwhp, with only Cams, LTs, Midpipe, axleback, and CAI/tune. How much TQ/low end power are they losing?
Originally Posted by jawsgt
look at my #'s without cams. my tuner also told me i would dyno around 350 rwhp with a set of cams. some ppl on here r underestimating canned tunes. many reputable places have very very good canned tunes,so close that ppl that get them dyno tuned after just having a canned tune to get them by have only gained a couple hp any mayb a little driveability.
I underestimate canned tunes from experience. As the OP stated, that S197 owner was down 35 RWHp from using a canned tune, versus a custom one. Please explain to me what you mean by many many places have very good canned tunes. Are you referring to canned as in email? To me, a 'canned tune, is a box tune'. IE: preloaded from handheld software company. Again, Dyno graph with the DJ please.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I have to admit misreading this one. I thought the 333rwhp figure was from his canned tune.......kinda fumbled my comprehension skills and didn't catch that that was from AFTER getting a proper dynotune. Ok............that all makes much more sense now. My bad

The whole race makes much more sense now if he was only packing 298 at the back tires at the time.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Dude I swear I hate long stupid quotes like these .I own a 3v and a 90 coupe .The 3 v will see 30 hp with cams on top of the bolt on hp gain .An average 3v gt will see gains with just boltons of up to 320 at the wheels minus the cams. If you do not own a 3v then it makes no difference what you think if you own a 4v or not.Please stop the long quotes. it's irritating.The 3v puts out that kind of power with out heads and still gets 23mpg.As far as canned no such thing , you can have two different people with hand held sct scanners .The thing is one may be from Bama chips ,and one may be from Evolution performance . They are custom tunes .As far as loosing low end toque thats a common problem with most cammed motors with auto's with out stall converters 3v or not.
Originally Posted by ponygt65
Requoted so every one can see...

Uh....nope. See below.

Correction factor and link please? I know much more about 4V's than 3V's, I admit...and I have some learning to do on the 3V's, but I have a heard time believing that is without intake work. I also find it hard to believe that several S197s are putting down 350 rwhp, with only Cams, LTs, Midpipe, axleback, and CAI/tune. How much TQ/low end power are they losing?
I underestimate canned tunes from experience. As the OP stated, that S197 owner was down 35 RWHp from using a canned tune, versus a custom one. Please explain to me what you mean by many many places have very good canned tunes. Are you referring to canned as in email? To me, a 'canned tune, is a box tune'. IE: preloaded from handheld software company. Again, Dyno graph with the DJ please.

Last edited by kennyxg; 02-03-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Dude I swear I hate long stupid quotes like these

Please stop the long quotes. it's irritating.
does reading exert too much energy and give you a headache?

Quick Reply: Ws6 vs G35 and Camed 07 gt