Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ram Air hood on non Ram Air T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ram Air hood on non Ram Air T/A

I'm thinking about putting a Ram Air hood on my non Ram Air 96 TA. is there anything special i need to do or do i just swap out the hoods?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just swap out the hoods
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

get ready for more stares!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I agree!

You could always add the airbox if you come across one?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

i already have a CAI and there isnt more than 5000 miles on it. so i dont see any sense in swapping that with a ram air set up
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Veteran

and why are oem hoods so damn expensive????? my bumper got hit a few months ago and i had to get it replaced (thank god the other guy paid the 1000 bucks). the guy looked at how much it would have cost if my hood was damaged and it was 1200 bucks unpainted. i know aftermarket ones are fiberglass but they are 1/3 of the price
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
and why are oem hoods so damn expensive????? my bumper got hit a few months ago and i had to get it replaced (thank god the other guy paid the 1000 bucks). the guy looked at how much it would have cost if my hood was damaged and it was 1200 bucks unpainted. i know aftermarket ones are fiberglass but they are 1/3 of the price
because it is OEM...

a damn normal bolt is 5$
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the oem ws6 hood is made out of fiberglass too...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
the oem ws6 hood is made out of fiberglass too...
I'm with this guy. My OEM WS6 hood is fiberglass.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The only upgrade to fiberglass is carbon fiber IMO. So I wouldn't see why fiberglass would be bad...

I know a few sponsors sell Ram Air hoods on here for fairly good prices. If you're wanting fitment quality, obviously OEM is going to be the best, but other hoods offered in the 500-800 range still have great fitment.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The OEM hood is Sheet Molded Compound, sorry couldn't tell you the difference. I've read on here that CIA flows as well as the Airbox and I agree that the Ram Air effect is only at high speed so you're good to go on that. I have fit aftermarket hoods on these cars and fitment can leave a lot to be desired. I ended up with an OEM hood which is my recommendation.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post a picture of your CAI. Maybe you can modify it to work in conjunction with your new hood. Just make sure you get oem style! Dont put the 98+ style on your LT1. I have a 96 WS6, and a 94 Firebird. When i look at them side by side, i honestly like the base heat extractor style better. Its sleek and flows perfectly with the lines. I would keep the stock. But i'm weird im sure no one will agree
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i did a writeup on this the other day for someone on camaroz28.com

this is what you need to swap hoods/airboxes (if you're going for a full oem look) my prices are probably better than what you'd pay for the hood and airbox (i got really really lucky on those, and i bought them from 2 separate people) but the rest of the stuff i got off the web from summit, hawks3rdgenparts.com and one piece from the dealer which can probably be had at SLP for a lot less (i was under the impression it was no longer made by them after i tried ordereing it at one of their 3rd party venders who didn't have a $25 min order like they do)

It cost me ~ $550 in parts and another $730 in paint/install to get the ram air. (the paint price included getting my roof repainted as well)

for the ram air swap

necessary:

hood - $307.51 from ebay for a real WS6 hood that was a prototype and had a small hole that had to be filled as well as having the corners touched up due to being stood straight up for several years

ram air box w/ K&N filter - $115 shipped from someone in Oklahoma. This also included the bellow that goes from the MAF to the TB

ram air hood grills $50 shipped from hawks 3rd gen parts. this isnt necessary per say but the hood would look funky without them. GM sells them for $90 EACH. for less than 1/3 of that price it was worth going aftermarket and you can't tell the difference

AIR hose extension $5-10 (i dont remember the exact cost) The ram air uses a slightly different AIR hose than the regular 90 elbow. its a couple inches longer. i simply went to autozone and got some 3/8 inch heater hose and an extension barb and 3 clamps (i probably only needed 2 as the hose fit pretty tight on the back of the airbox but i clamped it anyway) You only need a foot or less of the stuff. i got 2 feet and still have a little more than a foot left. here's a photo of how i did the extension. in the pic, the air hose extension can be see connecting to the back of the airbox and the wire extension i referred to is running over the top of the MAF. the MAF is actually installed upside down in the pic along with the bellow. this was done by the body shop. i flipped it the right way later as seen in the pic i posted below.

questionable whether necessary:
MAF extension. $25 from summitt. I've heard this isnt 100% necessary and that you can stretch your stock MAF wires to fit the different location for the ram air. i decided to play it safe and just get the extension.

unnecessary:
Plastic blockoff plate that covers the hole for the old airbox, $43. Yeah i overspent on this piece. i had tried getting one from SLP through a 3rd party vendor since they were supposed to be $10 but SLP wanted $25+ per order. well the 3rd party vendor told me SLP no longer sold the part so i went to the stealership and ordered one, hence the $43. i wanted to make sure it fit right and was how it was supposed to be so i paid the price but when i got it i found out it's held on with double sided tape. I also ended up taping the headlight contrl module to it since i wasn't sure where it was supposed to go. i later saw a factory WS6 car and i was 99% on as to where that part went and the only difference was his was screwed into the plate and mine was taped. oh well no one can tell.

here's the piece i'm referring to (the plate underneath the module)

the major factor in the price of the swap will be how much you can get the hood and the airbox for. i got really lucky with both and spent less than $425 for them. I had to drive approx 4 hrs to get the hood but i have an aunt and uncle who live about an hr from where the hood was and they were on the way so i drove up in my beater subaru wagon on a friday night, stayed with them and then went and picked up the hood on saturday afternoon. then i drove back to their place, stayed saturday night and drove home sunday.

oh and if your wondering why the intake is not black in those pics. they were taken in march of 08 when the hood was put on. in june of 08 i had the intake manifold gasket, oil pan gaskets, and valve cover gaskets changed and got the intake painted while it was off.

heres a larger shot of just the engine/airbox that might help you as well.

and finally a good pic of it painted and installed.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 02-02-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

i cant modify my CAI to work with the hood. its a K&N FIPK. i just want the hood solely for looks
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

then you only need the hood and the ram air screens
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

its going to set me back about 700 after i get it painted, add the screens and get blackbird stripes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
its going to set me back about 700 after i get it painted, add the screens and get blackbird stripes
depends on how much you get the hood for. i got a steal on mine. the grills you can get for $50 shipped at
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/tr...reenspair.aspx
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

i know i can get the hood for under 500 locally. i just need the money first

Quick Reply: Ram Air hood on non Ram Air T/A