Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 build question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 build question...

I've been trolling this board for sometime trying to ramp up on my knowledge of the LS1. I am about to be deep into a conversion project to a LS1, and am a bit green concerning this motor.

Originally, I was looking for a 2001+ pullout, but have since decided to go with a 2000 mainly because I can get them sooo much cheaper. I would like to ensure I am on the right path with the following plans. Anything I am missing that *should* be done before the engine is in place would be appreciated.

Base will be a 2000 LS1 with M6 (approx 30k on it)
TSPs Patriot/Cam package (includes timing chain, pushrods, etc.)
LS6 ported oil pump
LS6 PCV mods
LS6 Intake

Power and performance wise this is all I need. Is there anything else I should be doing while in there? Will I be able to get this running with stock PCM programs or should I have TSP flash it with a new base program? I'll get it tuned, but have some other bugs to work out before it comes out of the garage.

I'll also be installing a new clutch...but not all that concerned with that at the moment.

TIA,
xchaos
Old 10-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Default Re: LS1 build question...

sounds good, but I'd probably skip the oil pump and pcv mods. There is much debate about the oil pump, so you're kinda on your own there. Just do whatever makes you feel comfortable. As far as the PCV mods are concerned, they do little or oil control, and they are labor intensive when it comes to cutting the block. Save the time and just get a catch can plumbed in. IMO that's the only way to get a handle on the oil issues anyway.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Interesting. I never even considered NOT doing that mod. I'll re-think that some.

BTW, I was thinking to go with the 231/237 cam. This was my concern on the PCM programing questions above.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

I have the same cam from TSP. They got me VERY close via a mail order tune. The drivablity of the car was excellent. When I got a real dyno tune I only picked up 3rwhp from the mail order tune. They have a great "generic" tune for this cam.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks gomer. I just spoke with TSP and they said they can get me a base tune that should help me get it to idle before I can get it tuned.

Another question that came to mind. Rocker arms? Are these fine stock or do they need to be changed out? If so, some ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Stock rockers are fine.. I just got in a on group purchase at a good deal on some Yella Terra's. I added them for "piece of mind"
Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Do the LS6 PCV and do get the ported oil pump. The oil pump is cheap insurance because some of the 00 and before like to die with no warning. They also flow better as the casting inside the pump is smoothed and cleaned up. The LS6 PCV will help with the oil issues of the LS1 and is easy to do. Cutting the notch in the valley is VERY easy to do!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PVC mod doesn't hurt. There are memebers who swear by it and have seen excellent results and others who have had minimal results.

I would suggest adding a catch can on top of it as well. Again it doesn't hurt any.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Teching In

The original reason I was going to do the PCV mod was because it seemed like it made sense and is cheap to do. Since the engine will be just sitting in my garage while I do the rest of it, I figured it would be easy enough to do.

Also just found out that I need to replace the head bolts, never had to do that before and found that a bit strange. Not costly though so no big deal.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Launching!

I'm not a big ported oil pump fan, that's all. And as far as "randomly dying pumps with no warning" one ported pump I bought was DOA out of the box, so a "new" part is no guarantee. Personally, I think you'd be taking a bigger risk replacing a PROVEN 30K mile pump with an UNPROVEN unit.I don't necessarily think that there is any performance gain to speak of with the ported pumps. In my mind, it's just a way to take a $40 pump, put 30 minutes of work into it and sell it for $150. Just another part for mod-****** IMO.

As far as the PCV system goes, I've seen way more cars that still have oil consumption problems after doing the LS6 PCV mod than I have seen cars that were cured by it. For my money, the catch can is far more effective, and is much simpler to do.