General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

"ASR OFF" - Not wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "ASR OFF" - Not wanted

For some reason my traction control is permanetly diasbled, I started up my car for this first time after replacing my rear pinon oil seal (which is a seal located between the driveshaft and rear differential) and now my ASR is off and won't go on. My rear pinon oil seal had been leaking like crazy and my whole under carriage was covered in oily dirt. After changing the rear diff oil and pinion seal I brought out the wire brush to clean up and had dirt flying everywhere, I then wiped everything down.

Now my ASR doesn't function and when I start up the vehicle it says on my guage cluster "ASR OFF".

When I was letting my car warm up today I started to hear a light squeeling sound coming from the battery area... I don't know if this has to do with anything.

I can't find any ASR diagrams in the Haynes manual...hmm
Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I'd do is check the rear wheel sensors to be sure they're on tight.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

What the heck are those? Where are those located? Any pics?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is kind of funny about this is I had a driver side axle tube seal leak. I replaced that, asr worked fine for months. Then the "ASR OFF" came on. Wonder if this has something to do with oil/axle grease on something. I dunno, anybody know how to just reset the entire system? Like reboot it or scan it?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

I accidentally found a bad rear wheel sensor while messing with HPTuners, the orange tool like from autozone didn't find the code.
Thing is, no lights came on in the dash.

If you hear something near the battery, it has to be the ASR motor thing, that thing all the throttle cables go into, that forces the gas pedal up when the tires slip.
Since you're hearing noise there, I'd check it out.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Found the rear wheel sensors they seem to be okay.

I would put my money that its the ASR motor or whatever its called. Because I pulled out my car (after its been asleep since October), I started it up and it was revving high while slowly coming down to normal RPM's. No ASR OFF light was on at this time.

Then when I was doing my walk around of the car, all the sudden it started making this light squeeling sound. And then when I went back to the car the ASR OFF light was on.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Could there be anything wrong with this ASR device near the battery?

p.s.: 9000th01ss did your car make a light squeeling sound while you had this similar problem?

Edit: the light squeak seems to be coming from a pulley, not the black ASR casing with all the cables going into it.

Last edited by blackops22; 02-02-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

No, my car never made a noise at that time.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car makes no noise either.

How did you find out a bad rear wheel sensor? Which program did you use or can I buy something to scan with? If I will be able to use it in the future I would buy it, instead of paying somebody that much to look at it... Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aerojt
My car makes no noise either.

How did you find out a bad rear wheel sensor?
I just noticed it on the DTC list in HPTuners one day.
Otherwise the car didn't drive or brake any different. I would have never known if I wasn't tuning the car at the time.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder if I ran autotap if it would find anything...

EDIT - Just ran the autotap software and didn't pull up and DTC's - It is so weird this isn't something you can pull up through obdII - Anybody know what tool/scanner would be able to plug in and read this, or doesn't that exist? Thanks

Last edited by aerojt; 02-02-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ive been reading up on old threads and sent some pm's. Hopefully someone will chime in.

EDIT: Double check to ensure everything is plugged in and if nothing happens then take off the speed senors and clean them. Thats what I have read so far that may help.

Last edited by blackops22; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've already checked/cleaned the speed sensors on the rear wheels, what else could be "Unplugged"? Anything else you know I should check out?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

If anybody knows where the third speed sensor is please let me know because I tried looking for it and I couldn't see it.

This is what my Haynes Manual says:
Each sensor assembly consists of a variable reluctance sensor mounted adjacent to a "toothed ring" with an air gap between them. A wheel speed sensor and toothed ring are mounted in the hub/bearing unit of each front wheel. A third sensor is mounted on the rear differential housing; its a toothed ring is located within the rear differential. The air gap between the sensors and the rings is not adjustable. And the sensors themselves are not rebuildable. If a front sensor or ring malfunctions, the entire hub and bearing assembly must be replaced. The rear sensor and ring can be replaced seperately.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackops22
If anybody knows where the third speed sensor is please let me know because I tried looking for it and I couldn't see it.

This is what my Haynes Manual says:
Each sensor assembly consists of a variable reluctance sensor mounted adjacent to a "toothed ring" with an air gap between them. A wheel speed sensor and toothed ring are mounted in the hub/bearing unit of each front wheel. A third sensor is mounted on the rear differential housing; its a toothed ring is located within the rear differential. The air gap between the sensors and the rings is not adjustable. And the sensors themselves are not rebuildable. If a front sensor or ring malfunctions, the entire hub and bearing assembly must be replaced. The rear sensor and ring can be replaced seperately.
3-channel rears have 2 sensors behind the front wheels and a third on top of the rear housing

4-channel rears have a sensor behind each wheel
Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

How do I know what channel I have?

I think I have 4 channel...?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 AM
12 Second Club

jack the rearend of the car up and see if u can see senses on the backing plates of the back wheels or check for wires running to a harness on top of the rearend housing
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemss1
3-channel rears have 2 sensors behind the front wheels and a third on top of the rear housing

4-channel rears have a sensor behind each wheel
Thats incorrect.

3 channel rears come in cars without ASR, they have one sensor and it's on top of the housing. They dont have sensors at the rear wheels.

4-channel rears come in cars with ASR. They have a sensor at each wheel. Nothing on top of the housing.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

If you have ASR, it has a 4 channel rear.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Thats incorrect.

3 channel rears come in cars without ASR, they have one sensor and it's on top of the housing. They dont have sensors at the rear wheels.

4-channel rears come in cars with ASR. They have a sensor at each wheel. Nothing on top of the housing.
is that not what i said? 3-channel, 2 sensors for the fronts, 1 above the rear, no TCS

4channel-sensor at each wheel, no senser above the rearend housing, TCS
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what do you scan the system with? Id like to do that instead of just throwing new sensors, bearings, etc at the car and not fixing anything.