LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch studder and shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch studder and shake

In Nov. 08 I replaced the clutch in my 96 Z28 because of it looseing contact to the flywheel. I take it off, it is warn badly and replaced with new but cheaper of the two choices from Advanced Auto Parts "only one I could afford". Everysince plenty of grip at speedsbut now I've gotten a pretty harsh studder from every take off. This being my first cluch replacement I first thought that the cluch was tight from being new and was going to see if it would "break in" I thought. It hasn't stopped and I disassembled it again tonight to find that the new pressure plate is making contact unevenly... possibly causing the studder. I've been advised to take the pressure plate and fly wheel to get resufaced. Any other advise?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dream69
In Nov. 08 I replaced the clutch in my 96 Z28 because of it looseing contact to the flywheel. I take it off, it is warn badly and replaced with new but cheaper of the two choices from Advanced Auto Parts "only one I could afford". Everysince plenty of grip at speedsbut now I've gotten a pretty harsh studder from every take off. This being my first cluch replacement I first thought that the cluch was tight from being new and was going to see if it would "break in" I thought. It hasn't stopped and I disassembled it again tonight to find that the new pressure plate is making contact unevenly... possibly causing the studder. I've been advised to take the pressure plate and fly wheel to get resufaced. Any other advise?
Yeah, get the flywheel resurfaced. Many times the studder is from a bad pilot bearing. Did you replace it? I would strongly recommend it while you are in there.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Well when I installed the cluch, I missed the bushing in the box. Also is that a pilot bushing or bearing because whats in there now looks to be a bushing and the clutch came with a bushing and a bearing?!?! Eather one looks like it could fit. When I pull out the other, what should go back in its place?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dream69
Well when I installed the cluch, I missed the bushing in the box. Also is that a pilot bushing or bearing because whats in there now looks to be a bushing and the clutch came with a bushing and a bearing?!?! Eather one looks like it could fit. When I pull out the other, what should go back in its place?
Either one should work. I've bought a kits with either a bushing or a bearing, but when I installed my new engine, I put in a new pilot bearing. I don't know the pros and cons of each. Just make sure you grease up either before you put the tranny up.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Either one should work. I've bought a kits with either a bushing or a bearing, but when I installed my new engine, I put in a new pilot bearing. I don't know the pros and cons of each. Just make sure you grease up either before you put the tranny up.
whatever you do... do not grease up a pilot bushing! the bushing consists of oil impregnated bronze which provides enough lube for the input shaft on the tranny, if you grease the bushing it will plug up these pores and will be worthless
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
whatever you do... do not grease up a pilot bushing! the bushing consists of oil impregnated bronze which provides enough lube for the input shaft on the tranny, if you grease the bushing it will plug up these pores and will be worthless
Interesting, didn't know that.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

So 1994Z28lt1 which do I go back with... the bearing or bushing?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bearing's and Bushings provide about the same and I went with the bearing when I swapped mine out about a year ago. Some people on here will argue the bushing as if you have one go bad you won't spit needle bearings all over your clutch. To each their own, but IMHO bearings reduce vibration from the input shaft much better.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

thanks for everything guys... i pulled the fly wheel off and had it resufaced and replaced the pilot bushing with the bearing and its all gone, no shake nothing.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Regular

Even though you fixed your problem, it probably couldn't hurt to bleed the clutch as an extra precaution ya know?