Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector Shelf Life?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Shelf Life?

I have a set of SVO #30s that I pulled out the car 10 months ago, are they still worth putting back in or are they bad? Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What`s the expiration date?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by IGNANt
I have a set of SVO #30s that I pulled out the car 10 months ago, are they still worth putting back in or are they bad? Thanks
get them serviced. we have a special right now for 89.95 for the whole set, We will even polish the cases instead of repainting them.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long will this special be going on?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

They should be fine. Having them refreshed is a great thing, but why until you know they are bad?
Having said that, if there is any peanut butter paste involved, get rid of them.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
They should be fine. Having them refreshed is a great thing, but why until you know they are bad?
Having said that, if there is any peanut butter paste involved, get rid of them.
How do you know they are good? Speaking from experience, I sent a good set of Bosch 36's for FIC restoration service. The injectors had 500 miles and sat for 1 year. 7 needed new filters and cleaning while one was leaking and had to be replaced. I wouldn't install a used set of injectors that have sat for an extended length of time.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
How do you know they are good? Speaking from experience, I sent a good set of Bosch 36's for FIC restoration service. The injectors had 500 miles and sat for 1 year. 7 needed new filters and cleaning while one was leaking and had to be replaced. I wouldn't install a used set of injectors that have sat for an extended length of time.
Injectors that sit open to the elements will absorb moisture etc. moisture causes rust on the internals of certain types of injectors. A leaky injector can hydra lock your motor. Aarons injector leaked while doing an extended pressure test at 70-100 psi. It was a drip but, enough to warrant a replacement. When we sell injectors we fill them with a special lubricant and seal both ends with a air proof cap. This extends the shelf life. Yrs ago certain new injectors were packaged in a plastic tube filled with a light oil. the injector was submerged untill used. Shelf life deterioration has always been a problem,
Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shoemike
What`s the expiration date?
Sorry for your experience, Aaron. I repeat, I would test first, versus pizzing $90 down the drain.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

My parents operate a salvage yard and we often sell pull-out engines that have been sitting on our racks for years. If we get a car in with a bad motor, we'll take a used engine off the shelf and put it in ourselves. I do not ever remember having an issue with injectors. I wonder why this is?? Maybe stock injectors are more durable or something? (as opposed to aftermarket and/or high performance injectors)
Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FastKat
My parents operate a salvage yard and we often sell pull-out engines that have been sitting on our racks for years. If we get a car in with a bad motor, we'll take a used engine off the shelf and put it in ourselves. I do not ever remember having an issue with injectors. I wonder why this is?? Maybe stock injectors are more durable or something? (as opposed to aftermarket and/or high performance injectors)
those injectors probably had fuel left in them, keeping most of the mechanical parts sealed from the elements.

Or they were leaking and you just didn't notice lol. Its a tough problem to pick up on
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

what about if the injectors sat on a clean work bench for 3 weeks?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
what about if the injectors sat on a clean work bench for 3 weeks?
that should be fine. When I take an engine apart and the injectors are out i always get a coffee can with some fuel and keep them submerged until I put them back in. This way I won't have to worry. The pintle valve in the injector only opens a few thousands, so, any dirt or carbon can make them work improperly.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls2nut
I wouldn't drink the koolaid yet until he explains how i test my old injectors myself.

Which is what I was trying to say, apparently not very well. Test first. $$ second.
And it is electic koolaid, for those that remember...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

FICINJECTORS, pm sent.

thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by IGNANt
FICINJECTORS, pm sent.

thanks.
PM replied
Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

Honestly, for you I would recommend new injectors. The SVO (Bosch design II) while a good injector, isn't the best option for the LSx or LTx cars, because its wide spray pattern is designed for 4v engines.

I would recommend our Bosch Design III in 30lb for you. The spray pattern is MUCH more suited for your engine (the Design III is the stock injector in an LS1/6). And since its your DD, you will notice better startups and mileage with them, since you wont be getting the fuel wash.

I can do the Design III in 30lb, flow matched, viton o-rings installed, and a 3 year no questions warranty for $189.95 for the set of 8.

~Rich
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Rich,

I have an LS1 and have the stock injectors, so shouldn't they be the Design III?

Also, I think mine are 24lb. If so, does that mean I will have to get the ECM reprogrammed for the larger 30lb injectors? Sounds like a pain in the butt - I already have an LS6 intake manifold and the 6.0L heads. The Camaro tune on the ECM is going to have enough trouble keeping up with those mods, let alone a different injector size.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Honestly, for you I would recommend new injectors. The SVO (Bosch design II) while a good injector, isn't the best option for the LSx or LTx cars, because its wide spray pattern is designed for 4v engines.

I would recommend our Bosch Design III in 30lb for you. The spray pattern is MUCH more suited for your engine (the Design III is the stock injector in an LS1/6). And since its your DD, you will notice better startups and mileage with them, since you wont be getting the fuel wash.

I can do the Design III in 30lb, flow matched, viton o-rings installed, and a 3 year no questions warranty for $189.95 for the set of 8.

~Rich
Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

I deleted the post before the last sorry for confusion for anyone. thanks fic I'm gonna take ya up on that deal. And do you need to know anything else about what my setup is (fuel pump, cam, etc.)

nathan
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FastKat
Rich,

I have an LS1 and have the stock injectors, so shouldn't they be the Design III?

Also, I think mine are 24lb. If so, does that mean I will have to get the ECM reprogrammed for the larger 30lb injectors? Sounds like a pain in the butt - I already have an LS6 intake manifold and the 6.0L heads. The Camaro tune on the ECM is going to have enough trouble keeping up with those mods, let alone a different injector size.

What do you think?

That was directed to 00Silver6 lol.

Yes, your stock injectors are 24lb design III
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Have any great deals on new or refurbished 24lb LS1 injectors? I have cores...