Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount turbo question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear mount turbo question!!

I am going to be building my own rear mount turbo kit and noticed some people go over the rear axle and some go under. Other the ease of installation what is perfered and why?? Is there any performance differance
and is there any ground clearance problem?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen anyone go under the axle...What happens when you jack up the car by the unibody and not the rear???
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

mine goes under, just because i built it off an old true dual exahust that went under the axel, i dont have any ground clearance issues, it just has to go on a drive on lift, not a spider lift, and if you wanna jack up the back you just have to do it under the rear axel, other than that it works fine.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Go under the axle It saves 2' of pipe not to mention a direct 90deg. bend wright out of the turbo.To jack It up just take the coupler loose from the turbo its that simple.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's a matter of preference. Under the axle saves about 2' of pipe (mentined earlier) + a 180 degree bend. I don't think it makes a big performance difference either way. (Tried mine both ways)

Over the axle affords more protection. I had the band clamps knocked off of the under axle pipe and was re-rigging my turbo intake on the side of the interstate in Illinois when it got snagged on a #$%^ pothole (screw Indianapolis roads).

Anyhow, either/or works.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

If you go under the axle you can also just make a droop limiter to keep the axle from dropping when you jack it up. Ie limit how much it moves.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine goes under, only downside i have at this point is I am about to put a rear end in my car and now I have to hack the exhaust all up to take the old one out, no big deal really cus I am going to change the exhaust tube size anyway.