Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo damaged worried?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo damaged worried?

i aquired a 76gts and i inspected it with a flash light and what i found was what looks like to be small cracks on the bottom inside edges of the exducer wheel on about every other fin. and thier is a slight seperation of material thier. i know its hard to discribe what you see but i took a picture but the it is so far down inside the exhaust housing it is hard to really see what your looking at i will post it up if anyone is interestd.
But my question is should i be worried of this thing coming apart on me?
Is this type of stress common?
and what with it cost to replace it?
Opinions please chime in
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

send it in for a rebuild.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SaultysHuggerSS
i aquired a 76gts and i inspected it with a flash light and what i found was what looks like to be small cracks on the bottom inside edges of the exducer wheel on about every other fin. and thier is a slight seperation of material thier. i know its hard to discribe what you see but i took a picture but the it is so far down inside the exhaust housing it is hard to really see what your looking at i will post it up if anyone is interestd.
Opinions please chime in

We can rebuild them in-house for you. We carry the compressor wheels on the shelf.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
We can rebuild them in-house for you. We carry the compressor wheels on the shelf.
can you pm me a price and turn around
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Will do.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

DrTurbo. in your avatar, would daily driving cause that much heat or a full on track car? in the picture it's obvious that it is super hot, what is "heat soak"? how is it caused and what are the affects?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by hawk584
DrTurbo. in your avatar, would daily driving cause that much heat or a full on track car? in the picture it's obvious that it is super hot, what is "heat soak"? how is it caused and what are the affects?
That's on a engine stand at WOT for over 2-3mins and HIGH boost. Motor was making 1200+hp for that extended period. Motor is a Ford Inline 6 turbo XR6. Best Ford motor right now available.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess i'm more curious to what heat soak is, how it's caused and how it affects the performance
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i guess i'm more curious to what heat soak is, how it's caused and how it affects the performance
Heat soak is simply an area of extreme heat buildup in the system that transfers throughout the metal in that area. Just caused by friction and gasses expelling into the turbine housing and wheel. Performance effects....none really, other then it metals parts and if cooled quickly can crack the metals.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Start your own thread then or search for it

Back to topic anyone got a price on a turbine wheel or have experience changing one
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you for the info!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
That's on a engine stand at WOT for over 2-3mins and HIGH boost. Motor was making 1200+hp for that extended period. Motor is a Ford Inline 6 turbo XR6. Best Ford motor right now available.
off a dyno over here, in ozzz
nizpro ???
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats my PT76gts here you guys talking about the turbo works fine spins real good and freely. No need for re-build i works fine i had it in my truck, i had no problem boosting it would boost my 370ci. in a second..... the turbo wont come apart.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know my turbo dont look like this... no need to worry this guys are just telling you sent it to them so they can re-build, thats buisness they havent even seen it bro so they dont know what the turbo really has im sure you wont have any problems with it. and post pics of the so call little cracks so they can see them and see what you really are talking about............

Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by crashly
off a dyno over here, in ozzz
nizpro ???

Yup....Nizpro. GT42 on that motor. We have one of those motors here in the states...imported it in.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mike06tork
i know my turbo dont look like this... no need to worry this guys are just telling you sent it to them so they can re-build, thats buisness they havent even seen it bro so they dont know what the turbo really has im sure you wont have any problems with it. and post pics of the so call little cracks so they can see them and see what you really are talking about............

Ouch.....definitely had some crap go through that turbine.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

X2... Dr.Turbo but thats not my turbine on top Saultys Hugger is talking about^^^. my PT76gts turbo works real good it was run like about 25-35 miles at the most with this turbo and just a couple of pulls on the street just for fun and just strat-ups to move the truck back and forth. i baught it like 1-1 1/2 yrs ago my truck was just parked i have been working on it since the past 2-3yrs. so the turbo was just on my truck it was just tuned and back to to my body shop for work so it can be that bad it would spool from 0psi to 11.5psi in less than a sec. that means its reall good with no problems so i think Saultys Hugger shouldnt be worried about it... right now me and Saultys Hugger are in a trade process i will give him my PT76gtsh plus $225 for his PT88.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaultysHuggerSS
Opinions please chime in

listern to the turbo repair guys,
get the comp wheel changed out..

i see this heaps , on the large diesel comp wheels, it's from stress.
the older cast wheels have a shelf life.
the newer type wheels get the "HIP" proceess, that de stresses the material, and are more 'dense" , easier to balance, and are less prone to fly apart...

better to be safer than sorry, if the wheel is ok, then fine.
what will it cost if you take the chance , and it flies to pieces ?????...

i know what i would do......
Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

This is a great looking turbo it doesn't look abused at all vary clean I'm sure u didn't intentionaly send it knowing it was damaged. I will post some pics after work I may just keep it and send it in. I'm sure it will run fine but for how long I just wouldn't want it to rip apart the housing
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not trying to rip anyone off i know my turbo wors real good and i know you wont have anyproblems with it. but if you want to repair it i will help you out with what i can, but personally the turbo is fine. im prety sure is just sumthing normal that will happen to any turbo. So let me know bro. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo damaged worried?